69 front discs on a 66 - what would it take?

enferno

Jun 20, 2006
i might have the opportunity to get my hands on some '69 front discs, and i'm curious as to what it would take to put on my 66.

new spindle? outer tie rod?

if it takes light fabbing and/or not too expensive of a list of parts to get it to work, that would be killer. i don't have the kind of money to spend on an actual disc brake kit, so this would be awesome if it works.

thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

i might have the opportunity to get my hands on some '69 front discs, and i'm curious as to what it would take to put on my 66.

new spindle? outer tie rod?

if it takes light fabbing and/or not too expensive of a list of parts to get it to work, that would be killer. i don't have the kind of money to spend on an actual disc brake kit, so this would be awesome if it works.

thanks in advance.

You definately need the 69 disc brake spindles along with all the small bits. If your 66 has 6 cylinder steering gear or power steering, then it is not practical to use 67-69 spindles, the tie rods do not fit. If your 66 has manual 8 cylinder steering gear, use 69 type outer tie rods. Be aware that the brake hoses that go along with 68-73 type calipers are quite pricey ($25 each).

Is there a good source for 69 disc spindles? I'm moving to a Wilwood setup all around and I want to sell every bit of my 1 year/ 800 mile old front disc setup as a complete set. Since the wilwood uses my original spindles, I thought I'd buy another set of 69 disc spindles to make it easier to sell the parts as a complete 69 setup, like the original poster is looking at.

I would get the 70 spindles since they have a larger pin and bearing size. You can find them on eBay sometimes or Chris Alston Chassisworks has them in oem fitments but with new stronger castings. I don't think they listed on the website, but they are in my catalog. I just sold a mint set of spindles on eBay and I regret it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...RK:MESO:IT&viewitem=&item=220061379415&rd=1,1

OK found the link, it show no specific part numbers. I wonder if they use the large (70-73) or small bearings (65-69)

http://www.totalcontrolproducts.com/spindle.html

I would get the 70 spindles since they have a larger pin and bearing size. You can find them on eBay sometimes or Chris Alston Chassisworks has them in oem fitments but with new stronger castings. I don't think they listed on the website, but they are in my catalog. I just sold a mint set of spindles on eBay and I regret it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...RK:MESO:IT&viewitem=&item=220061379415&rd=1,1

OK found the link, it show no specific part numbers. I wonder if they use the large (70-73) or small bearings (65-69)

http://www.totalcontrolproducts.com/spindle.html

I'm reasonably sure that the spindles being sold at the totalcontrolproducts.com site are not being made by Total Control. I believe they are made by a company on the east coast. I have evaluated a set and found that their design includes serious dimensional errors that will result in incorrect suspension geometry. They are not exact reproductions.

ok allow me to better describe what my intentions are.

i have a 66 v8 w/ power steering, manual drum brakes.

is it possible to swap in disc brakes off of a '69 grande GT convertible without heavy modification? if not, what is needed?

ok allow me to better describe what my intentions are.

i have a 66 v8 w/ power steering, manual drum brakes.

is it possible to swap in disc brakes off of a '69 grande GT convertible without heavy modification? if not, what is needed?

yes you can swap the disc brakes from a 69 mustang to your 66 mustang, as long as you have the spindles. if not then you need the find a set of spindles to make the swap happen as the 69 mustang uses a single piston caliper and the 66 spindle does not have provision for mounting the caliper.

yes you can swap the disc brakes from a 69 mustang to your 66 mustang, as long as you have the spindles. if not then you need the find a set of spindles to make the swap happen as the 69 mustang uses a single piston caliper and the 66 spindle does not have provision for mounting the caliper.

yay! thank you for the good news :p