71 Mach 1 seat belts, car seat questions

jeni351

Aug 17, 2006
Fort Knox, Ky
Hey Everyone,

I've been a member of this site for years, but haven't posted much. I have a 71 Mach 1 that I've had for about 10 years now. I've just done regular maintenance, nothing fancy after the initial restoration that my dad and I did together to get it ready for the road. Back when I was a teenager and it was my daily driver I never gave much thought to the safety of the car. I just wore my lap belt and tucked the shoulder belt in the back through the ash tray hole since it was a pain to use. Now that I have an almost 2 year old little boy who I'd like to take along with me, we've started looking into new seat belts and the right car seat for the back seat. I'd like to put the car seat forward facing in the middle of the back seat. I know we'll have to install a seat belt in the middle to do this, so I'm wondering if anyone has done this. I did a search, and it looks like a lot of people put the car seat in the front seat, but I'd rather not do that. I also saw something about putting some steel between the trunk and the backseat? I hadn't even thought about that, so any advise would really be appreciated. It's been really hard to find any info on this subject, so I figured I would post here and see if anyone had any experience with this. We're moving to Texas soon, so we're getting the Stang ready for some more action than it's seen here in Kentucky the last few years. I know the Mustang will never be as "safe" as a newer vehicle, we just want to do what we can to make it safer than it is now.

• Sponsors (?)