• Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech

71 vert wiring

  • Thread starter Thread starter BarnStang
  • Start date Start date Feb 5, 2008

BarnStang

Founding Member
Mar 2, 2001
1,260
3
39
Hagerstown, MD
Feb 5, 2008
#1
  • Feb 5, 2008
  • #1
Need some help. THe diagrams are not entirly clear for this car. I have several questions. On the convertible, the power top switch is mounted in the dash to the far left. TO the right is the head light switch. THere is a factory hole in the dash between them. WHat goes there?
THere is a light in a small tube that appears to have been forcfully removed from something that seems to line up with this hole. THe light is on it's own harness with a Ford part number tag that runs over to the relay board above the glove box. THe relay attached to the other end has a terminal broke off. WHat does the light do, and what wire goes to the broken terminal? See pictures.
Lastly, there is a wire coming from the trunk latch. I had pulled an extreamly long wire out cause I could not identify it. It ran to the realy board above the glove box. I discovered it attached to the trunk latch so I reinstalled it (the two plug ends mated up-plastic push pin connector). It's a single wire. The diagram does not show this, but it does show a mercury switch for the trunk light (which I do not have).





 

Attachments

  • DSC01739.webp
    74.1 KB · Views: 96
  • DSC01735.webp
    33.4 KB · Views: 79
  • DSC01741.webp
    20.1 KB · Views: 92

Platonic Solid

Founding Member
May 29, 2002
1,960
5
39
CT-USA
Feb 6, 2008
#2
  • Feb 6, 2008
  • #2


I don't have time to dig around the car for the rest of the answers right now.
 

Attachments

  • Dash-Park-Light.webp
    45.8 KB · Views: 96

BarnStang

Founding Member
Mar 2, 2001
1,260
3
39
Hagerstown, MD
Feb 6, 2008
#3
  • Feb 6, 2008
  • #3
Hmmm, in one of the restoration books I looked through today, it appeared that the relay is a seat belt relay. It showed the sameconnector, but nothing cnnectd to the other end? And I did find a pressure switch type thing under the drivers seat with the two wires cut and pressed up into the springs.
THere is also a wire hanging off the parking brake pedal that is also not connected to anything. THis would make more sense if I ran that wire over to the relay, and the light came on when the park brake was set. I'll see if I can locate a dash light to replace that.
ANyone know what the wire from the trunk latch goes to?
 

Platonic Solid

Founding Member
May 29, 2002
1,960
5
39
CT-USA
Feb 6, 2008
#4
  • Feb 6, 2008
  • #4
Are you sure your car is a 71? I didn't think the seatbelt indicator light was introduced until 73. The actual light on the dash is located above the glove compartment. The wire to the trunk lid has to be for a trunk light.
 

BarnStang

Founding Member
Mar 2, 2001
1,260
3
39
Hagerstown, MD
Feb 7, 2008
#5
  • Feb 7, 2008
  • #5
Well, there is no cutout for the light above the glove box, so that rules that out. Not sure what the gizmo under the seat is for. Wasn't hooked up to anything anyway. Is the "Park" light the only light (lens) that was put there from the factory? By the way, thanks for the picture, it's the first one I have seen in all the books I have been going through.
I wonder if I had the actual trunk light that it would have the same push pin connectors on it and it goes between the trunk latch wire the the long wire I ran back up to the dash, with the latch putting chassis ground on one side of the light and the other end having +12v to the other side. Guess I will be making some calls today. Thanks!
 

jikelly

20+ Year Stangneter
Jul 9, 2003
872
53
99
Lubbock Tx
Feb 8, 2008
#6
  • Feb 8, 2008
  • #6
Sounds like you are getting these little details worked out. Yeah, my 73 had that seatbelt system indicator thing. It never worked due to the wires being chewed up in the seats.

I didn't bother reinstalling it in my car when I redid my wiring harness. I also deleted that relay on the board above your glove box. I never figured out what it was for, and the after market harness I bought had no provisions for it anyway. 21 ckt EZ harness is what I got.

Good Luck!!
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

2
Resolved Electrical mayhem
  • 2000ElectricGreen
  • Mar 13, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
3
Views
392
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Sep 4, 2026
2000ElectricGreen
2
M
67 Mustang Ignition Switch Wiring Diagram needed
  • Michaelell
  • Sep 14, 2025
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
Replies
2
Views
475
1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk- Jan 3, 2026
Michaelell
M
J
89 mustang alarm install to lock and unlock
  • jk66
  • Apr 9, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
4
Views
200
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Apr 10, 2026
jk66
J
B
Electrical Fuse 8, Light Green / Black Wire
  • bleedinggreen
  • Jun 23, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
7
Views
518
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jun 26, 2025
bleedinggreen
B
82 Gen 1 Coyote Swap AC Questions...
  • thinkfaster
  • Aug 14, 2025
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
1
Views
463
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 15, 2025
thinkfaster
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1965 - 1973 Classic Mustangs -General/Talk-
  • Classic Mustang Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?