78 Not Charging

PnyPower

Feb 3, 2016
Hey I've got a 78 302... when it's running what should my field/stator voltage be at the alt and at the regulator? My alternator is not charging above 11.5v and regulator is brand new. Swapped it out a couple times. Alternator has been swapped a couple times and problem persists.... not sure what to do if alt and regulator are both new and working...

• Sponsors (?)

Where are you checking voltage? If you're checking at the battery, it's quite possible the battery and/or cables aren't up to snuff. If you're checking at the output on the back of the alternator, is it at idle or are you giving it a few revs? Going from my crappy memory, the charging system really doesn't start producing about 14v unless you're cruising. It supplies enough voltage to run the engine and peripherals at idle, but it won't charge the battery very much unless it's run at a little higher RPM. Kinda along the same lines as jump-starting a car. The running vehicle will help charge the dead vehicle if you give it a little gas and the dead car may start sooner while doing so. So IMO, your new parts are probably working as they should, you might want to look at the battery and cables and work your way from there. I hope this helps!!