79' 200 I6 Mustang to 351

Hey guys,

got myself a project. I have a 200 inline 6 mustang that i bought several years ago and started working on. its stripped al the way down and has D&D Motorsports k-frame, a-arms, and rear suspention arms plus coil over shock system. I came across a 351 engine a while back and want to throw it in instead of the 6 that i have. Now i know the 2 main blocks going around are the Cleveland and the Windsor. I'm not sure which one I have, been a long time sence I've looked at it, so first how do i figure out what block i have, and second, which is a better block for my application? Also, what other mods should i do besides what is already done to make the swap complete?

• Sponsors (?)

351w

a 351 w is the 351 u need. a 351c/351m/400 has a big plate that goies in front. a 289/ 302/351w takes a cover that bolts on about 1 1/2 thick. a 351 w is the oneu want they make more parts for a 351w easyier to bolt in. in 79 they had a 7.5 rear end u need to go to a 8.8 from a 86 -93 v8 car.

If originally a V8 car, it will have the 8.8" rear. The SVO should have it also, along with disc brakes, if you were able to source a rear end from one.

86 and up v8 cars had the 8.8s in them ,svos had 7.5 do not use one of thoose ,also the 200 inline six had a unique k frame need to get a k frame from a 4 cyl or 8 cyl car or a v6 k frame will also work. the v8 engine mounts will not bolt to the i6 k frame.also there is a oil pan fittment issues.

351C, 302, and 351W all share the same engine mounts and what trannsmissions will bolt up to them. 351C has the timing cover kind of built into the block so all you need is a flat plate over the top, here is what it looks like:

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd169/SaleenClone/108-0830_IMG.jpg

Either 351 is a good way to go, 351C is the road less common and makes for a more unique build but as you can tell, I'm a tad biased!

Matt