79 Mustang Gas Tank & Sending Unit

btr

Founding Member
Mar 20, 2000
North Dakota
Anyone know where to get a new gas tank and fuel sending unit for my 79 pace car? My gas guage doesn't work and I'm thinking about detailing the under side of the car. I thought I just order a new gas tank and sending unit, but I'm having trouble finding them on the internet. Apparently they only made it for a couple of years then it changed with the electric fuel pumps.

• Sponsors (?)

The '79-'81 tank is completely different from the '82-'85 carbed tanks, and the '86-'95 FI tanks... Unfortunately, they are not available new, and pretty hard to find used as well.

You can either have your tank lined and repainted, or use the '82-'85 or the '86-'93 tank. You will need to use longer bolts, as the straps are mounted closer together on the early cars and don't fir into the grooves on the tank.

If u use an '86-'93 tank, you will need the sender from an '86, as the '87-'95 use a different ohm rating, and the '82-'85 sender/pick-up assembly won't fit in the later tanks. You will also need an aftermarket carb-style pick-up, or replace the EFI pump with a lenght of hose if using an '86-'95 tank.

Thanks. I didn't see anything on those web sites. I did email them, maybe they can help. I'm sure I can just clean up and repaint my tank. Hopefully the sending unit is just stuck.