8.8 Gear Change Issues -- Stuck between Bad Pattern & Too Many Shims

andrewsg

Founding Member
May 24, 2002
Wilton,CT
I have swapped 3.27s, 3.55s and 3.73s. I never had an issue -- Here I am with a big one though. I am currently doing a set of 4.10s.

I have found that at my current shim amount that if I have the bearing caps torqued down and I try to spin the ringgear by hand -- that it is impossible. I cannot remember if I had the caps on the last time ive done gears. Thats really the situation.When I check the wear pattern; am I supposed to have the caps torqued down?

If so -- then I have a problem, as the ring gear will not spin by hand if the caps are torqued down. But if i shim down on the pinion head, my wear pattern is off like hell (but my backlash is correct) -- if I check my wear pattern now with the caps on but not torqued (just on there, not tight) that the wear pattern is perfect as is the backlash, but when I go ahead and torque it down, I cant spin nor check a damn thing.

So all in all -- if the caps are supposed to be torqued down when I check the wear pattern, then I'm screwed because it wont move, and if I have to shim down on the pinion gear, I'm screwed as well since the wear pattern shows i need more shims.

I did my last set of gears 5-6 years ago and really can't remember a goddamn thing.

Cliffnotes:

Do the carrier bearing caps need to be torqued down when checking wear pattern?

If they don't -- great I'm set -- if they do -- where the hell do I go/what do i do now?

Sorry for the confusing post.

Best Regards,
Gered

• Sponsors (?)

The bearing caps do have to be torqued down as you want to see the pattern exactly how it will be when driving. It sounds to me like you have a bad set of gears. What brand are they and will they exchange them at your place of purchase?

Oddly enough I dunno about that bad set of gears statement -- they did work in the mustang that they came out of (my old car) and they only have about 2000 miles on them; hence the reason I decided to take them out and reuse them.

Perhaps the backlash is off a bit -- im tempted to play with it, even though it reads to be ok.. maybe i need to double check it.

I don't know -- its just getting real old going back and forth to the machine shop to get the bearing off and on again. And as it sits if I take shims off -- im basically at a bad wear pattern.

I started at .030 and then went to .060, and then .070 and .080 and now im at .090 and when i go back to .080 its bad. So ehhh.. I don't know what to say other than MEH.

Any other suggestions?