Electrical 83 mustang 302 will randomly shut off and wont start again

Jtroyer11

Jun 1, 2021
Montana
So I bought an 83 with the 302 and I love it besides one small issue, most of the guages on the factory cluster didn't work so I bought a set from auto meter and retrofitted them into a cluster from a 2013 mustang. Anyway I trimmed out the space in the dash and made the new cluster fit nicely and without even plugging the new dash in, my car will randomly shut off and won't start.. if I leave the cluster out it won't shut off. It happened twice and I somehow accidentally got it to start again and dont know what I did. I'm trying to figure out what wire I could bump in the dash to make it do that? It's absolutely driving me nuts.... If I leave the dash completely out it will never shut off but I kinda need guages lol

• Sponsors (?)

Does the Mustang shut off at idle or under load? Will it start after engine cools off? When the car wont start; does it have spark at the plug wire?
Might have a loose molex or bullet connector. Check connection plugs (wiggle wires and plugs) while idling in park [ with dash out] to see if it dies.

I once had a bad ignition module in distributor (80's chevy) that would heat up and not let me restart car after parking. I would leave the car and get it next day; it would start. Sometimes it would always start.
The point I'm making is that heat getting to a heat sensitive component around new dash is a consideration.
Never mind. I'm glad you fixed it.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user