84 Foxbody Single Turbo Opinions

Kyle Jenkins

Sep 30, 2016
Hey everyone just joined the page! Glad I did at that seems to be a lot of knowledge floating around here! I picked up a 84 fox for a grand came with a can carb headers rear suspension along with some other goodies I'm in the middle of beefing up the drive train now and plan on running a single turbo setup any pointers or problem areas any of you have experienced? Plan on going with a demon blow through carb the rest is still in the air! Thanks again fellas!

• Sponsors (?)

Welcome ! Since you jumped right in..... I'll get right to the chase.... I'm in the process of building a studded and girdled 331 stroker turbo. The best advcice I can give you is to build a 351 based motor...can be stroked and good for 750hp. The 393 stroker is one of the cheapest to build. The reason I'm saying this is because a stock 5.0 block can only handle so much. They usually meet their demise around 500hp. Even with a girdle and studs, the block is only good for so much. A Dart block would be even better. I started my process a few years ago and have too much tied up in my motor. Wish I would've known what I know now. There are some stock motors running around that are holding up well under boost, just remember that boost multiplies off of whatever mods are done. 7psi to some may be 380hp....7psi to others may be 512hp.

Reactions: 1 user
My advice would be to skip the blow through carb we tried this on a few of our race cars it does not turn out well inevitably the seals in the carb will start to leak. I would switch it over to EFI when you add the turbo this can be done very cheaply and simply. There are quite a few of us on here that run boosted setups just remember that turbos come with Jack Stands I myself build a custom M90 supercharger set up for mine it all really depends on your budget and how far you want to take the project the above is true the stock 302 block usually gives up around 500 horsepower torque a 351 based engine would be far more robust