87-89 white face gauge owners..

Scott W

Founding Member
May 27, 2000
Toronto, Ontario
I just ordered a white face gauge kit. I have an 89 LX, and I don't know if I have the gauge bezel or not (the overlay that goes over the white face guage). Does anyone know if the 87-89's have an overlay?

thanks

• Sponsors (?)

From the factory 87-93 mustang come with a "cage" type thing, where it's just thin pieces of metal that separate the gauges by sections....

When people talk about overlays and white faces, it usually means the white faces go over the stock gauges (and in some cases use the stcok lighting this way, which is bad) so the white faces lay over the stock ones, hence overlays....

Not trying to jack your thread but I really like the white gauges just make sure you get all the adhesive off before you install the new ones or they will look like crap when you turn on the lights.

Attachments

• gauges.JPG
    gauges.JPG
    11.9 KB · Views: 139
Ya I see what you mean. there are 2 small thin pieces of metal separating the gauge cluster into 3 parts.

the kit I ordered comes all white, so this will make my entire dash white (except for the thin pieces of metal) That's gonna look like crap.

I'll wait till the kit arrives and see how it's arranged.

Oh mine were exactly like that.

I got all white because I wanted to make my own kinda style....NR auto had ugly 1/2 circles, MAC and BBK didn't light up well, and i don't like how the BBks have some info like writing on the black part of the gauge. so i can up with my own idea and I love it. On ebay I found a carbon fiber gauge bezel (i got this one) http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...tem=7907036252&category=43951&sspagename=WDVW

I put it in with the carbon and it looked like crap, so i got some flat black spray paint and painted it, and it loks stock now, and just how I want it....

Keep in mind my white face kit was ALL white, the bezel makes the circles and 1/2 moons....

dashpod.jpg

gauges.jpg

actually I am a big fan of the nr auto indiglo gauges (considering I was the one that talked neil the owner into making them for 87-89). for what its worth the 93 cobra white face gauges arent complete circles either. there for the nr auto arent that far off and after having the bbk/mac and the all white gauges from ebay, i can honestly say that the nr auto's are the best gauges (looking and quality) i have ever seen. of course this is just my opinion and we all have our own.

the only thing that makes them different from the 93 cobras is the nr autos have two little squares under the rpm gauge where the check engine light and the one to the left of it are. they are very nicely made.

houstonstangguy - I looked into the nr gauges, they are nice, the only problem is that I live in Canada, and I want kmh not mph, from what I could see on their sight they don't offer that option.

I came across a site today (the same sight blackfox5.0 put me on to) speedhut.com. You can custom design your gauge face (tonnes of colours-background and fonts) You can even add logo's - including the ford or ford racing logo. they also come indiglo. They offer them in km/h.

blackfox5.0- do you have to strip the white paint off? also, when you say you just painted the 'bottoms' do you mean you painted just the long part of the needle - not the small end? Did you paint the small end black or is it black stock? By the way, nice job. Is it a pain to re-align the needles properly? How about the adhesive removal - difficult?

Scott W said:
blackfox5.0- do you have to strip the white paint off? also, when you say you just painted the 'bottoms' do you mean you painted just the long part of the needle - not the small end? Did you paint the small end black or is it black stock? By the way, nice job. Is it a pain to re-align the needles properly? How about the adhesive removal - difficult?

I painted the long part of the needles only on the bottoms, or else they won't night up at night. The black center piece is already black. It can be a pain in the ass to put them back, my tach doesn't really work anymore, as you can see it's not even sitting on zero, even though I set it on zero....

Striping adhesive? I didn't, well i don't have to, since my gauges have thier own EL lighting....so the whole gauge glows, just as you see it. It's mostly just different shades of green and blue.....I wish it were white :( I had pics but can't find them, at least not on this computer...