• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech

Engine 88 Fox starting issue

  • Thread starter Thread starter Kynettic
  • Start date Start date Apr 12, 2018
  • Tags Tags
    foxbody foxbody help foxbody issue tech help
K

Kynettic

Member
Apr 12, 2018
5
1
13
Arkansas
Apr 12, 2018
#1
  • Apr 12, 2018
  • #1
Run down of the car: 88 Mustang GT Hatch w/ sun roof; stock as far as I know besides the cold air intake (non MAF)

Had my car sit for about a week. Went to start it one morning backed out a bit, put it in drive and it died. Haven’t been able to get it started since. It’ll turn over and then instantly die. If you watch the video I have linked, I try to start it I’m able to rev it twice and it still dies. Changed the fuel pump relay, fuel pressure regulator, and fuel filter. Spending a lot of money and it’s solving nothing. Was wanting to see if anyone knew or had a clue what it could be before I spent anymore. Fuel pressure reads 40 when I start the car. Coil gets spark too. Is my distributor rotor/cap bad? Bad spark plug wires? Or could my fuel pump be weak after starting the car? I have a video like I said I’ll link.

View: https://youtu.be/VKGU_uqegeQ


Thanks for any help or suggestions

Ben
 

General karthief

wonder how much it would cost to ship you a pair
Mod Dude
Aug 25, 2016
28,049
10,674
213
polk county florida
Apr 13, 2018
#2
  • Apr 13, 2018
  • #2
On the first page of the 5.0 tech forum is a section tech/how to' thread look for the cranks but no start checklist, read through it and get familiar with the instructions and gather up the necessary tools, it will help you get it sorted out without wasting time and money, just go step by step and you'll be hitting the streets again. I'll even post a link for ya.
https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-fo...start-checklist-fuel-injected-mustangs.787471
i t was put together by 'stangnet's favorite tool' and it works!
 

Blown88GT

Founding Member
Nov 13, 1999
2,283
524
164
Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Apr 13, 2018
#3
  • Apr 13, 2018
  • #3
Actually, video shows it is starting but only runs for a second or two before dying. If it's the original fuel pump, it's 30 years old. Yes, it can read normal 40 psi when starting the car. Unfortunately, this will not "throw" any codes. You'll have to put a fuel pressure gauge on the rail & watch it continuously.
 
Reactions: General karthief
K

Kynettic

Member
Apr 12, 2018
5
1
13
Arkansas
Jan 16, 2019
#4
  • Jan 16, 2019
  • #4
Sorry to bump a thread and for the ridiculously late reply. I just wanted to give an answer in case anyone ever reads this with the same issue. I fixed my issue, and have sold the car haha. In all seriousness I did end up fixing the problem. A wire in the column had been cut. If I remember correctly it was pink with a yellow stripe? Spliced back together all good, but sad to say a few months later I sold it.
 
Reactions: General karthief
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

A
1987 5.0 speed density Foxbody crank no start
  • Alan2204
  • May 23, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
10
Views
453
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech May 30, 2026
Mcmahst
N
Engine 86 GT no start/stall
  • nweber
  • Jul 28, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
6
Views
215
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jul 29, 2026
AeroCoupe
J
Suspension Foxbody mustang Steering shaft issue
  • Jakub2537
  • Sep 5, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
8
Views
234
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Sep 11, 2026
gkomo
9
1997 gt Starts then dies a few seconds after.
  • 97orange
  • Aug 13, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
5
Views
198
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Aug 17, 2026
97orange
9
B
Electrical Why does my fox body keep frying eecs
  • brandyn200
  • Jun 20, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
8
Views
388
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jun 25, 2026
AeroCoupe
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?