Engine 89 2.3l fox convertible

Kingkuda

Dec 16, 2020
Tacoma, wa
Hi all if anyone can help i have a 89 fox convertible, i bought it off some old couple and been having some fun with it. I had replaced the original alternator with a gen 3 120 amp with stater. After installing i noticed that my rpms were kinda low and it was kinda stuttering. So i took it for a drive thinking all it need was to be driven. After a while i started hearing loud knocking coming from the engine, i thought it was the valves but its a non interfering engine. So my speculation is that its possibly the crankshaft bearings. Please any advise tips or tricks

• Sponsors (?)

I have a 89 coupe. The stock alt is just fine, not sure why you changed.

If its still running, pull the codes with an obd1 code reader asap.

Check to see that it has good oil level and oil pressure. Maybe do a compression check.

If its really rod bearings, it has to come out to be fixed.

Are you outputting voltage from the alternator? The engine is DIS so weak voltsge mights translate to not running correctly.

stock alternator was more than enough for the car.

I have a 89 coupe. The stock alt is just fine, not sure why you changed.

If its still running, pull the codes with an obd1 code reader asap.

Check to see that it has good oil level and oil pressure. Maybe do a compression check.

If its really rod bearings, it has to come out to be fixed.
Havent really gone in depth, just researched and most reports were saying that the alternator would die easily, and also melt its connector. So i just replaced it to avoid anything major

Research also tells us turbos come with jack stands, they don't but you may need them.
If it ain't broke don't fix it, now get a stock alternator back on it and see what happens.
Oh, have you checked to see if this alternator is charging?