89 Fox E Brake Doesn't Work

Michael West

Jun 11, 2013
So I have an 89 automatic and my e-brake hasn't work since I bought the car. I don't think the cable is snapped as it still has tension when I pull it up, but it doesn't stop the car at all from rolling when in gear. So what could my problem be?

• Sponsors (?)

So I have an 89 automatic and my e-brake hasn't work since I bought the car. I don't think the cable is snapped as it still has tension when I pull it up, but it doesn't stop the car at all from rolling when in gear. So what could my problem be?

You didn't mention what brakes you had so i'm going to assume stock drums

Stretched cables,
worn out rear shoes
mechanical issues with drum brake linkage.

Last edited:
In that case, if it has the adjustable center cable, you might need to tighten it up a bit. It's a common issue that fox mustangs with SN95 rear brakes have weak parking brakes unless you tighten them to the point of just before the rears drag

Basically put the car on 4 jackstands in nuetral and have someone turn the rear wheels while you tighten the center adjustable cable until they start to drag. Then back it off to the point where 2-3 clicks up is all that's needed to have a good hold that should hold on steep inclines without being in gear.

Of course, this is assuming whoever did the install use an adjustable cable. if they used Sn95 cables, it's possible the cables are stretched.

The e-brake does have a self-tightening mechanism. Usually, with the adjustable center cable, it's welded to defeat it and the adjustment is through the center cable. If it isn't defeated, it usually rachets the cable up too tight stretching it.

Basically...there are a few things to check out