Electrical 90 mustang cruise control advice

Brad Hanks

5 Year Member
Jul 21, 2017
Hello all, looking for some fixes for my mustang cruise control. It will not turn on, nor has it ever worked since the day i bought it.
Things I have checked/ observed: speedometer works, it is a 5.0 5 speed and clutch safety switch appears to work (clutch pedal has to be all the way down to start) both cables are attached to throttle body, new buttons on steering wheel, horn works, all three taillights work and do not stay on, brake lights work, has over 150000 miles on it.
Any help on this would be appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

Dump the codes, look for codes 27 or 29 which are speed sensor codes.
Check to see if the cigarette lighter works - it shares the same circuit/fuse as the cruse control system.

Dump codes sticky

Look at the top of the 5.0 Tech forum where the sticky threads are posted. One of them is how to dump the computer codes. Codes may be present even if the CEL (Check Engine Light) isn’t on. You don’t need a code reader or scanner – all you need is a paper clip, or if your lady friend has a hair pin, that will do the job.
I highly suggest that you read it and follow the instructions to dump the codes. http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/how-to-pull-codes-from-eec4.889006/

The cigarette lighter does work, I checked all the fuses with a volt meter and they are all good. I’ll try dumping the codes the next I’m working on it. Thanks.

I think what he was say'n was the vss does not drive the speedometer, just for the cruise
VSS is also used to tells the computer when to turn on the IAC motor to control idle on deceleration and such..without it, on a mass air computer, the car can/will stall coming to a stop sign and between downshifts and situations like that. It can also cause other idle surge problems

Causes a code 29 to show. Research that you'll find more answers, but, yes, you need it if you're using a mass air ford eec iv to control the engine

I’ll check all these out, thanks. My dad has a 93 and the cruise works on it, I’ll see if I can borrow his vss sensor to see if that’s the problem.
Dump the codes and find the problem. The process is clearly detailed with lots of pictures. You risk damaging the speedo cable and the VSS sensor if it isn't removed and installed properly.