Engine 92 GT Vert - Fel Pro 1006 Gasket - Forgot to loosen and retorque

Mrg2783

5 Year Member
Apr 1, 2018
Newport Beach
Hello,

I recently installed new head gaskets. Fel-pro 1006. Ringed for boosted applications. TFS 170cc Aluminum Heads.

I didn't wait 10 minutes and loosen all the head bolts and retorque it again per the gasket instructions. Just did the normal sequences. Up to 80 ft lbs. And moved forward.

Anybody do the same thing and am I going to have any issues if I leave it?

should I still loosen and retorque? Even though it's a week later? The lower intake plus headers are all bolted on as well.

Seems like you can just throw them on and no one has issues. But want to be safe.

Many Thanks

Attachments

• 20180720_184254.jpg
    20180720_184254.jpg
    446.2 KB · Views: 178
  • Sponsors (?)

Here's my take.. IF you installed them properly the first time and the surfaces were prepped properly, then IMO there is no reason to need to retorque them. Most guys don't and never have an issue. If you feel the need to., pop the upper intake and valve covers and check the upper head bolts .

Did you use oil, assembly lube?
Did you use bolts or studs? They are different
Did you torque them in stages
Did you put any thread sealer on the bolts/studs that go into the water jacket

Here's my take.. IF you installed them properly the first time and the surfaces were prepped properly, then IMO there is no reason to need to retorque them. Most guys don't and never have an issue. If you feel the need to., pop the upper intake and valve covers and check the upper head bolts .

Did you use oil, assembly lube?
Did you use bolts or studs? They are different
Did you torque them in stages
Did you put any thread sealer on the bolts/studs that go into the water jacket

I used oil, very light on inner bolt threads, sealer used on water jacket bolts, torqued in two stages, used ARP studs, 60lb first stage, final stage torque was 80 ft pounds in correct sequence. 80 ft lbs was per ARP when I called.

Block and heads were spotless.

Sounds like i should be good?

I'm going to do a heat cycle then retorque after to be safe as well.

Appreciate the input.