93 2.3, needs turbo

• Sponsors (?)

best bet is to do a full engine swap .the stock 93 motor will reach critical mass and self destruct around 6 psi which really isnt enough to justify the money and time it will take to bolt the damn thing up anyway. find an old turbo coupe or SVO motor and swap out the motor and the harness.

you could, but the engine would still not run to full potential. the dual plug head wasnt designed for boost and it flows horribly. by the time you swapped out the head, exhaust, and internals you may have well as dropped in a turbo motor.

You could. I believe there are a few other internal pieces that are turbo specific but I'm not sure which (maybe rods, valve springs, etc.) You would also have to tap the oil pan for the turbo line.
If you have the luxury of allowing downtime for the car (to take out the motor and rebuild it as the car sits) it's not the worst idea. It's just much easier to find a turbo car with everything you need altogether.

well the reason i'm asking is because i do have a bunch of turbo parts that i have been collecting and they are the pistons with rods in great shape, the stock turbo with the manifold that has been cleaned up and just ported and i do know how to port the stock dual plug head to improve the air flow. also with the turbo i got the oil lines that come from the block to the turbo and the line from the turbo to the block. i'm not looking for wild horse power but just to make the little 2.3 run a little better. and then add the handling pieces.

I am sure that if you dont mind tearing into the engine, that the forged pieces you have will go a long way towards keeping your engine safe. how are you going to allow the computer to adapt to your turbo? are you going to get a custom tune?

i would imagine that i could have the stock ECU custom tuned for it to see that there has been a turbo added to the motor. not sure yet. tearing into these 2.3 motors is pretty easy. as i have stated earlier i race in the SCCA with a 2.3 and it's in a 1987 mustang that has the stock speed density EFI i do have it running real good now. i've learned what porting and milling the head does to one of these motors.:nice: . i do have another question now that i'm thinking about it, how does raising the compression ratio affect a turbo'ed motor? and also what if i use a performance cam also? thanks

There are no sources for tuning the stock speed density 2.3 computers. There is tuning available for the turbo computers though.

An aftermarket cam goes fine with a turbo, assuming it doesn't have a ton of overlap. High compression and turbos don't mix too well unless you run race gas. The ideal turbo motor has low compression (such as the stock 2.3T's 8.0:1) rather than 9 or 9.5:1 like the n/a motors or 10.0:1+ on milled head engines.