Progress Thread 94 V6 Convertible "Creaking" or Knocking from front

Hi all,

In the 20 months or so I have owned the car the AC has never worked. Earlier this year I took it to a place to get it checked and they confirmed that the Compressor is not working and needs replacing. I decided not to proceed at that time.

For the first time in ages we had a day where I needed to clear the windscreen today so I put the dial round to Window but forgot to set the temperature to hot. After a few seconds cold air was coming through. And it was proper icy air, not just ambient cold. It stayed this way for the journey I was doing - around 4 or 5 minutes.

Got back in to drive elsewhere, no cold air. It was just ambient temperature and not cold at all. Another 5 minute or so journey.

I then came back home again - a 10 minute journey - and started playing with the dial. Norm AC, Max AC, vent, windscreen, nothing, just ambient. After a few more moves of the dial, cold air started coming through again on Norm AC. And it was cold!

So, where can I start looking for this one - there's obviously a loose / damaged connection somewhere - maybe behind the dials themselves?

Interestingly, I have a Jaguar X-Type as well which had a similar issue and that was found to be a relay in the fuse box - could I be that lucky again?

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

TMW

• Sponsors (?)

Hi all,

Quick update.

I went out again this afternoon but had left the dial in the "NORM AC" position. Air was still cold. I did not touch it.

Also, I forgot to mention, the dial for setting the temperature sometimes feels a bit resistant - I am wondering if there is something inside the mechanism that could be blocking from turning and registering properly? Sometimes it works fine, others it doesn't. Basically, if I don't go to the extreme ends it seems Ok, but if I do, that's when I get strange things happening...

TMW

If you have a problem with the temperature selector knob, or the blend-door it operates, and you're getting warm air out the vents but the compressor is running with the clutch engaged, then it may be a problem with the temperature-selection mechanism.

Basically, the A/C compressor will run regardless of where you have the temperature set. If it's not running, then it may be a compressor problem as your shop diagnosed. If it is, you may have some other problem, but it may also be a selector problem. When it doesn't blow cold air, determine whether or not the compressor clutch is engaged and running.

The cool-hot selector on our cars is mechanical (the other two rotary knobs are electrical, and some of the components use vacuum to move various doors). When you move the knob you're physically moving the temperature blend-door. Thankfully there's no complicated cable or vacuum routing, and also the position of that knob doesn't control whether or not the compressor runs. It's possible that mechanism has a problem or a stripped gear / knob, or the blend door itself is binding, those are really the only ways it can fail.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi,

Well, I have just been out playing with dials and settings etc. for 20 minutes or so and I cannot get it to fail at all. All dials and settings are working exactly as I would expect with regards to speed, direction and temperature, including AC running vs AC not running.

I don't get it.

It's like it has magically fixed itself after all this time...

I do remember I once had my Jaguar checked when that had a faulty compressor (that one really was) and they said if I run it if there is something not quite right it can sometimes just ping back in to life - looks like that's what has happened here...

Strange - but good!

TMW

Good deal, sometimes with a non-critical system (like A/C) it's better to wait for something to completely fail than to go hunting for an intermittent problem. Sometimes compressor clutches and sensors get stuck after a long period of not using the air, and it's just a matter of periodically using it just to keep everything moving. Hope it stays that way for you.

Hi all,

It failed!

Could not get a thing through yesterday.

Did some snooping and reading and looks like it is the AC Compressor Clutch sticking and not always engaging. I have seen it spinning correctly and also not doing anything so I know that's the culprit.

Have seen a Youtube video on how to change it - looks relatively straightforward. But the question is, do I change just the clutch part or will I need a whole new compressor as well?

Thanks in advance.

Regards

TMW

The clutch is a pain in the rear to change and to set the right gap. They're also often corrosion-welded to the compressor input shaft. I'd go with the whole compressor if you're confident that's the problem. The clutch not engaging could still be other things - low refrigerant, a faulty pressure-sensor-switch, or weak / broken wiring to the clutch or switch.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all,

So, I've finally managed to get a rear spoiler - correct Ford one that was fitted to GT's of the model year (it's actually come off of a 1994 GT so I know all good there - alas, I only have the V6).

I have the nuts and bolts too which is excellent, however there are clearly 4x holes that need to be drilled in the boot to take it and I have spotted that there is a slight shaping to the underneath of the spoiler that matches the contour of the boot lid as it goes towards the back .

Frustratingly, the threaded lugs are coming down from the spoiler and it doesn't bolt into it (so to speak) so alignment is going to be tricky.

Does anyone know of anywhere that has a fitting guide for the rear spoiler at all? Ideally measurements in of where the holes need to be drilled and correct sizing for the holes that need to be drilled?

Thanks in advance .

Regards

TMW

Hi all,

She's started making this odd creaking / knocking sound from the front and I am trying to work out where it is coming from..

Doesn't happen when cold, only once she's been running for about 10 minutes, but as you go over bumps etc. there's this creaking / groaning sound that comes from the front somewhere. It gets worse the more the car is running and is also becoming more frequent as well.

I have tried rocking her when she is not running and I can't reproduce it - no sounds at all.

She had her yearly MoT last week (government safety check) and nothing was found as needing doing - clean bill of health - but the noise continues. They check for play on various items, steering, etc. but nothing was found.

Any thoughts on what it could be? Wheel bearing? I don't think it's suspension based on the fact that it doesn't do it when stationary.

I am taking her over to the local garage I use on Saturday morning for them to have a listen, however any possible initial pointers / ideas appreciated.

PS - Apologies - just realised I posted this on the wrong area - should have been in the SN95 forum - Sorry!

Thanks in advance.

Regards

TMW