95 mustang air bag light on-code 44-how to fix it?

Disneyfun1

Founding Member
Jun 5, 2000
Phoenix, AZ
Just bought a 95 mustang v-6 for my son a couple days ago. Airbag light was not on when we bought and drove around, the next day late in afternoon, the airbag light came on. I noticed it would flash 4 times, stop then flash 4 times again, then a long stop, then repeat for a total of 5 times, then the airbag light stays on.

Looked up a code 44 and it says the LH sensor is not mounted properly. we went and looked at it, directly behind the bumper cover in the open area next to the horse if that is it, which i believe it is, and it is mounted solidly and the wiring looks fine and plugged in.

What could it be? would it mean the sensor has gone bad, or something else. Price is about $115 for a new one, but hate to spend that much money and then have it do the same thing.

any help on this?

• Sponsors (?)

Did you do any radiator work or does it look like it has ever been in any kind of wreck? My guess is it has either been in a wreck and the sensor itself was damaged (and not replaced) , or there could be a ground wire problem or even an issue with the wiring leading up to the airbag module. I personally don't know a lot about the airbag system. Messing around with the wiring , if you're not careful can result in the airbags going off. It only takes a few volts to the wrong circuit to accidently trigger the thing. They are sensitive.

Where did you buy it from? Chances are the person (or dealer ) that sold it to you erased the code just before you looked at it. Just enough to get it out the door. The codes won't register on the dash right away. It takes a few cycles before the system knows for sure there IS a problem. That, or something jiggled loose while you were driving it back. Might be best to have a dealer check it out.