95 spindles don't line up with shock at all HELP

Kenjey

Dec 26, 2018
CA
Front ends aren't really my cup of tea with these cars and I'm stuck in a bit of a pickle if anyone can advise me on this.
I'm in the middle of a 5 lug sn95 brake swap on my foxbody and tried lining up a 94-95 spindle onto the ball joint and found out that the spindle didn't line up with the shock by about an inch on both holes. Would it be safe to just jack up the control arm enough or would this :leghump: up some sort of geometry issue or :leghump: with my fitment for when I put the wheels on (i.e. wheel being too far up in the fender because the arm is raised up)?
In addition, I know I need to buy new ball joints as the boot was torn once I got the old spindle off, but I already have the spacer made for the stock ball joints so can anyone advise me on either buying oem replacement ball joints or any fancy sn-95 ball joints? If so, what brand and where to buy them?

Attachments

• IMG_3511.JPG
    IMG_3511.JPG
    352 KB · Views: 187
  • Sponsors (?)

if you have stock springs, its a pita to jack up. I gave up and bought lowering springs (eibach sportline). Another thing to try is take the spindle out of the shock, jack it up and see if its just raising the shock as you raise the control arm. One of mine did that due the previous owner of the spindles beat on them so I had to grind it down slightly.

I don’t see it in the pic.... so I’ll ask, have you put a jack under the A arm to compress the spring to where the holes will line up.

I’ve been collecting parts to do this swap (havnt done it yet). But I bought some reasonably priced SN95 ball joints that I will use. I’ll try to find the link from where I got them. I’m pretty sure it was Rock Auto though.

I don’t see it in the pic.... so I’ll ask, have you put a jack under the A arm to compress the spring to where the holes will line up.

I’ve been collecting parts to do this swap (havnt done it yet). But I bought some reasonably priced SN95 ball joints that I will use. I’ll try to find the link from where I got them. I’m pretty sure it was Rock Auto though.

No I haven't jacked up the control arm yet and wasn't sure if jacking up the control arm would interfere with future problems hence why I never tried it... the spring hasn't changed a bit and I never lowered the control arm as I kept the sway bar rod connected the entire time.

if you have stock springs, its a pita to jack up. I gave up and bought lowering springs (eibach sportline). Another thing to try is take the spindle out of the shock, jack it up and see if its just raising the shock as you raise the control arm. One of mine did that due the previous owner of the spindles beat on them so I had to grind it down slightly.
I'm a little confused on that, because I need the new spindle to raise an inch higher into the shock for both holes to line up. The stock spindle fits with no issues and me not having to jack the control arm up at all. With the stock springs would they not compress to allow the control arm to raise? I haven't tried jacking up the control arm and I'm scared to do so if it'll lower the car. Never read anything with 94-95 spindle swaps that they lower the car or that it needs lowering springs.

No I haven't jacked up the control arm yet and wasn't sure if jacking up the control arm would interfere with future problems hence why I never tried it... the spring hasn't changed a bit and I never lowered the control arm as I kept the sway bar rod connected the entire time.

That end link looks like it’s being pulled pretty good both top and bottom. Not sure it would have had the strength to keep that spring from opening up a bit.

Agree 100%. I'm actually surprised that spring hasn't come flying out with nothing under the lower control arm. I do see that the sway bar is still connected but I wouldn't trust that to hold the control arm up. Never unbolt the strut with nothing under the lower control arm.

Agreed. Only thing keeping that spring from shooting out is the sway bar end link. Get a jack under that asap.
I’ll make sure to grab the Jack next time I wind up working on it. I sat the car back on all 4’s with the old spindle but now I’m kinda glad I didn’t keep it up on jack stands after reading your guys’ replies. Once I get time to work on the car I’ll give it another shot with the Jack and hopefully finish the 5 lug conversion.