96 Gear Change Information

HoboNC

Mar 7, 2020
Sanford, NC
Hello my first post. I am doing a gear change on a 96 SVT he wants a 4.56 and wants me to use all ford parts. It a stock street driver 5sp with larger rear tires its a toy not a daily driver. I have never put that low of a gear in any car I am not sure he has either. Original he wanted a 4.30 so for my first question how will a 4.56 work out. His concern gear noise I have never had a repair that whined mostly all were a stock gear replacement. For my second question whats the preferd way to calibrate the speedometer. I have performed several hundred differential repairs and changed out quite a few ring and pinions. I have all the nice tools to perform the job and I think a set of set up bearings for a 8.8. Hobo Rosser Garage in Sanford, NC

• Sponsors (?)

The 1996-1998 model year uses a VSS sensor. The output of the VSS sensor goes to BOTH the PCM and the Cluster. Reprogramming the PCM only will not give a good speedometer reading. So any fix should include the cluster and PCM.

The usual method used for the 1996-1998 model year is to use a different VSS gear. HOWEVER expect problems using such a low gear.

The other method is to use an extended range "SpeedCal". However, expect problems trying to find one.

How reasonable is this customer? Boy racer? Will he "expect" his new toy to drive just like a "stock car" only faster? It can be very difficult to set up very low gears without noise.

Since you have obviously are more experienced than the average guy, do you know about "the critical speed" for a drive shaft and U-joint?

Hello wmdurns thanks for the well informed professional information.

I am reading there is a reflash to change the speedometer reading tho if may be less than desirable

The VSS gear change can also be a challenge with a 4.56

I searched speed cal I take it they are nor easy to come by.

How reasonable is he I know he has the funds its just a toy I do get the feeling his expectations are for a gear that turns it into a sling shot with no other complications. I do want his money and also want a happy customer with no complications on my part.

I will look into "the critical speed" of the drive line.

My researched the best I can tell it seams a 4.10 is the most common gear change I have not put it on the lift yet my best guess from one test drive it probably has a 3.23 the RPM in 5th gear at 50 was around 1500 RPM.

I would be interested in recommendations for a gear that would deliver the sling shot effect and the most desirable outcome.

Hobo Rosser

I just talked to him he has decided maybe 4.10 :
IMO 4.10 is the lowest gear to use for a PRACTICAL street driven Mustang. Yes I know there are some of you out there with 4.56 that LOVE tire shredding on them. But I just have doubts that any of them are actually driving their Wife/GF on long trips. ;)
How reasonable is he I know he has the funds its just a toy I do get the feeling his expectations are for a gear that turns it into a sling shot with no other complications. I do want his money and also want a happy customer with no complications on my part.
If your customer truly wants a "sling shot", then keep the factory rear end gear and go with a supercharger.

got'er done it was a P.I.T.A. I got a perfect pattern on the drive side coast side a little to close to the heal test drove it had a little whine on the coast side came back took .010 out of the pinion shim both patterns looked great. A little tip Whine on drive side add shim wine on the coast side take away shim. I had to get a set up bearing thought I had one but it was for a Dana : (. This is the first one I have ever set up that had a whine so I got to spend a day getting it out I should have played with it a little more the first go around my luck ran out I guess... I have a scrap 8.8 out of a ford pick up soon as I get time gonna play with it to get a better handle on how to properly use my pinion dept gauge on a 8.8 it gets tricky when you drop low gears in them.... For the D.I.Y. guys shell out for a set up bearing its money well spent.