96 Mustang GT 4.6 PI conversion tune up questions

hollywoodstang

May 23, 2006
Hey guys~

I am usually on the 5.0 side but I do have a 96 GT with PI conversion done(Parkway performance Kit), I did this about 4 years ago and it has been running fine ever since. Now the time has to come to do some tune up and upgrades such as headers and etc, etc

My questions is:

1. What kind of spark plug do i use on these now? Do i use the the 2004GT spark plugs or the 96GT spark plugs?

2. I left the stock 96GT headers on the PI heads because i was broke after the swap, Do i need to upgrade this to ford racing or aftermarket ones? I heard the port shape is different between Non-PI and PI...so i should get 99-up GT headers?

3. Do i buy 96-98 aftermarket H-pipe and performance exhaust or 99-04 H-Pipe and aftermarket exhaust?

4. What is good Mod for a street car like this? The plenum and throttle body, intake manifold is all stock, Would i see some good gains with just changing those out to aftermarket piece? I was thinking bullitt intake and TB swap or trickflow intake swap along with TB?

My girlfriend drives this car so i can't cam it or supercharge it or anything,,,It is going to stay N/A...sad i know...

I feel like a newbie asking these questions but I rather ask before i do something stupid or buy something that is not worth it, I am kind of new to 4.6 stuff and still learning :)

If you guys would let me know about these that will be awesome!

Leo

• Sponsors (?)

buy everything for the 96-98 gt, the plugs dont matter i would just go with double platinum. if you have the money go Long tubes and mid pipe for the 96-98 stang. i have bbk shortys that make no hp over stock manifolds, the LTs do. i did that because i didnt wanna spend another $150+ after the purchase of the LT headers, you see 15-20 extra hp with LTs. yuor gonna have guys reply so ill go ahead and say it longtubes make power, shortys do not.
p.s. the port shape is ony different on the intake side, the exhaust is only slightly larger then the npi

Your not going to gain much if any on a NA car. I would stay away from the typhoon intake, and look at the trickflow or find a bullit intake. Throttle bodies unless you are going for the bling facter the cheap ones work. I have a proproducts 75mm

Most of your bolt-ons are usally gonna improve engine drivability. The thing about making the intake larger such as 75 mm Throttle body and upper plenum and so on and so forth, they are gonna make your HP differ depending on the weather but, if you leave it stock the car will perform more consistantly. I drive my car in the morning and late evening when the air is cold and dense. Make sure your car light as possible. Back seat delete, lighter seats, you stock wheels are probaly very light. Get your suspension to hook, upper and lower control arms, shocks and so on and so forth.

Thanks all for the good advice~

I got all the suspension pieces together and i already started to put things together, Sub frame connectors, Upper and lower control arms, springs, shocks & struts, and H-Pipe, FR500 wheels from my 95, My girlfriend wants to keep the back seats.

As far as exhaust i think i should keep the stock shorty headers for now until budget allows for long tube? People are against the shorty since it really doesn't improve any performance? I already have the H-Pipe for the shorty so i was thinking about putting that on for now...

As far as intake should i keep the stock one for now or go aftermarket? I have no desire to put blower or shot on this car, it will stay N/A, If i go Trick-Flow intake set up along with TB(what size?) will this help on top end?

I fully understand about the typhoon intake, i won't buy it.

Let me know and thanks all :)