97 explorer 5.0 & AOD trans into 65 mustang

Jivy

Mar 2, 2020
Prattsville, Ar
I’m new to forums and I’m new to swapping Engines with computers. I am hoping I can get a few questions answered. I have a 97 explorer with 5.0 and AOD that I would like to put into my 65 mustang. My main concern is wiring/computer. I know there will have to be a few modes as such as oil pan pickup etc but I’m wondering what I will need to do to the wiring harness and computer. I’ve been looking for stand alone online but don’t seem to find any. Also since I have the donor vehicle wouldn’t it make more sense to use what I have. Will I be able to just pull the harness out and just plug it back in once I get it into the mustang. I know this might be simple for someone that has gone thru it or has had experience with a swap like this but it is all new to me and I would appreciate any info that you might be able to pass along.

• Sponsors (?)

I haven't swapped an engine like what you are describing, but from keeping up with what people are doing on here I know a lot of people use MegaSquirt products to run as a stand alone ECU. Holly also makes a stand alone ECU. I've seen people with 5.0 mustang motors in first gen mustangs so it is very doable. You might try fishing around in the digital tuning section of the forum. @a91what does a lot of tuning and might be of some help.

Reactions: 1 user
The stock ecu can do what you want but it will need a tune badly.. If you make any changes to the engine the stock ECU will not be happy.

Stinger sells a Pimpxshift that will do what you want it to, it will plug into the factory harness and both the engine and transmission can be tuned and controlled. The explorer that year i believe runs the AODE not the AOD.

The stock ecu can do what you want but it will need a tune badly.. If you make any changes to the engine the stock ECU will not be happy.

Stinger sells a Pimpxshift that will do what you want it to, it will plug into the factory harness and both the engine and transmission can be tuned and controlled. The explorer that year i believe runs the AODE not the AOD.

Thanks for the info! So I would not have to do anything to the wiring harness itself with the use of a pimpxshift?

Thanks for the info! So I would not have to do anything to the wiring harness itself with the use of a pimpxshift?
That is a question you need to ask stinger, it is designed for use with a mustang in mind.. but the wiring is very close between the two engines, they will likely have application specific instructions for you.

First off parts are parts they don't know what they are in or supposed to be in . If you update the old with newer stock pieces you will have to move it all from one to the other including fuel system . The only problems I can forsee is space . For all the wiring and fuel lines etc etc

I’m new to forums and I’m new to swapping Engines with computers. I am hoping I can get a few questions answered. I have a 97 explorer with 5.0 and AOD that I would like to put into my 65 mustang. My main concern is wiring/computer. I know there will have to be a few modes as such as oil pan pickup etc but I’m wondering what I will need to do to the wiring harness and computer. I’ve been looking for stand alone online but don’t seem to find any. Also since I have the donor vehicle wouldn’t it make more sense to use what I have. Will I be able to just pull the harness out and just plug it back in once I get it into the mustang. I know this might be simple for someone that has gone thru it or has had experience with a swap like this but it is all new to me and I would appreciate any info that you might be able to pass along.

I'm actually doing almost the same swap. I have 97 explorer 5.0 with AODE into 67 mustang. I did a lot of research about modifying the explorer existing wiring harness to work in 67 mustang. I found a forum about a swapping explorer into a bronco which explained how to modify the harness . https://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257251. Maybe this will help you decide if you really want to get into it.

Attachments

• explorer 5.0 into 67 Mustang.jpg
    explorer 5.0 into 67 Mustang.jpg
    465.1 KB · Views: 914
Last edited:
Having done my first swap to efi which in my opinon was very easy using the FAST EZ-EFI system and thatwas over 10 yrs ago. that system i beleive has been updated and there are other systems similair to it. my current ford computer system is based on the 5.0 harness and computer but its on a 351.

given the choice to do again, id stick with the easier FAST EZ EFI. the motors will make the same power i believe using the carb versions of intakes so long as they go with the correct heads and cam combo, etc. and the fast ez efi essentially just replaces the carb but bolts right on.

the fast system is very plug and play and self learns, the ford system you will need some one who knows wiring to wire it up and to tune for you.

the fast system or similair keeps the original look while the new ford systems look newer of course. also the newer system will require a MAF, cold air intake, Throttle body, all of which should also match your intake for best results.

one thing in my which youll need regardless is return line to the tank. you can either run a braided line, or a hard line. then you can adapt you tank by adding a port.however i know there are new tanks out there which have the fuel pump, inlet and outlet already integrated. also those new tanks are baffled inside so you never lose pressure. im thinking to upgrade to one like that.

next,for your AOD, if possible try and get a AODE. the regular AOD lock up version is only good for like 260 -300 hp i believe. in that stock form it will break. I broke mine by simply downshifting. I then went with a non lock up setup and i even went with a Lentech valvebody to hold higher line pressure so i can drive it like a stick. Now if you go with an AODE, you can still keep the lock up version but it wont lock up until preset rpms and what not. they sell a controller for them as well to be able to use them on non computer controlled or motors that dont have a setting for that. as my AOD sits, it can take up to about 600HP. (im working up to that number)

The stock Explorer EEC-V will only really be useful if the engine remains mostly stock. I think it can be chipped, but that's a whole other can of worms. I really would not recommend a Megasquirt DIY kit to anyone just getting started with an EFI conversion. The plug 'n' play varieties maybe, but those still cost more for the laundry list of features an average person is not likely to use. It may be able to do transmission control, so maybe that would make it worthwhile. I don't have any automatics so...:shrug:

A four-barrel EFI conversion kit like the FAST or Holley will require you to prep the engine as if it was receiving a carburetor. Not difficult, but means changing the intake and installing a distributor with a steel gear. The Explorer 5.0 also has a whole front timing cover/water pump/accessory setup specific to the Explorer, so you kinda have to use all of it or none of it.

Food for thought.

I'm doing a similar swap now, but mine is from a 90 mustang. I got a wrecked 90 and got the engine, ecm, and the complete wiring harness. I mounted the ecm on the right kick panel and had to cut a large oval opening in the firewall for the harness to pass thru. It comes out under the fender and turns to go thru the inner fender to the engine compartment. I also bought a wiring schematic for the 90 mustang to make sure I got everything wired right.I'm not done yet so I can't guarantee it's going to work, but if everything is connected the way it was there is no reason why it won't. Yours may be a bit more complicated because that transmission is computer controled.

I'm doing a similar swap now, but mine is from a 90 mustang. I got a wrecked 90 and got the engine, ecm, and the complete wiring harness. I mounted the ecm on the right kick panel and had to cut a large oval opening in the firewall for the harness to pass thru. It comes out under the fender and turns to go thru the inner fender to the engine compartment. I also bought a wiring schematic for the 90 mustang to make sure I got everything wired right.I'm not done yet so I can't guarantee it's going to work, but if everything is connected the way it was there is no reason why it won't. Yours may be a bit more complicated because that transmission is computer controled.

this is exactly how my mechanic did mine. my computer is also under the passenger side kick panel, One thing we found was that the ECM needs to have a code light. So my guy wired up a small light underneath the radio dash. so if a code is thrown, itll light up. Hasnt ever so i guess we are good. He did mention the car wouldnt crank until he wired that up.

I think there was something else going on because the pre-OBD II (pre-'96) ECUs don't care if there's a check engine light (CEL) installed. It would be a bad idea to manufacture a car that is completely disabled by a burned-out light bulb behind the dash cluster. I doubt the OBDII '96-04 computers care either.

The CEL is useful to have, but I've never known its absence to disable a vehicle.

Did you get yours in? I am at the end of this swap now. It is running, I just need to work on some fine details.