97 GT 3.73 gears good idea? worth the money?

C.Hunt1006

Jul 20, 2007
I'm debating whether to save about 800 bucks to buy gears and all hardware or save up 3000 to buy PI heads, camshafts, and new intake manifold. which route would yall go? which is smarter and worth the money? any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks

chandler

• Sponsors (?)

i plan on adding a new TB, CAI, MAFS, and new upper intake plenum. what kind of gains would i get out of these and are they worth it? if i did get all that i was going to get the tuner

i plan on adding a new TB, CAI, MAFS, and new upper intake plenum. what kind of gains would i get out of these and are they worth it? if i did get all that i was going to get the tuner

I would estimate approx between 15-20hp with the mods you listed. You really don't need a all those mods right now. Gears and tune whould be you best bang for the buck. A drop in K&N filter will net you similar gains to a CAI. I recommend modding your exhaust if you havent already before the TB, upper plenum and MAFS.

Hey Chris, you should show him your build thread:nice:

might as well:nice:
http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=725102
That's just for a PI build and extras, and go through the whole thread. Stuff changes every page, lol.
As for bolt on's, i'd like to think i have some experience in the NPI bolt on arena since i have every bolt on available to my knowledge.
I would do as follows(+'s = extra/optional), mostly excluding cosmetic expenses:

For saving up money and spending at once (money efficient way)
- PI intake and PI cams, with all accompanying parts needed for swap (120-280)
+ comp cam xe268H's used can be cheap, iv seen as low as $250
+ SCT X-cal II, will help for comp cams if bought and future mods ($379)
+ Exhaust, a must for any stang

For saving up money and spending at once (money and labor intensive way)
- Used Pi heads (280-350)
- Used/New PI intake and cams (50-180) intake (70-100) cams
- Used/New VT/Crower/Comp cams (300-550)
- SCT X-cal II if stage 1+ cams (379)
- Parts for swap including head changing kit (215)
- Labor is expensive if not done by you
- Then eventually exhaust, or exhaust first

How I'd do it on a buy part here and there method:
- Shifter if manual (dunno, i got an autotragic)
- K&N drop in air filter ($25)
- Catback (fab some side pipes for $330 :shrug:) or 350-450
- Midpipe catted/no cats 350-400/150-300
- Wheels/tires (500-1600)
- Springs/shocks (400-600)
- Sub frame connectors (50-100)
- TB+Plenum (220-400)
- U/D pulleys (150)
- save up money for pi swap or some boost

C.Hunt1006 how mechanical are you in a garage? Because if your committed to the PI Swap, I'd buy a haynes manual and read up on the many write up's they have for the PI swap and do the swap. Then take the $1400 and buy more mods.:nice: The PI swap isn't as complicated as you really thinks it is. Just make sure you have a full weekend and a good friend help do the swap.

i mean i know how to use tools but i have never worked on an engine before besides a CAI, TB, and upper plenum. I haven't thought about doing a PI head swap but where do i get this haynes manual?

Go with 3.73's, PI cam and PI intake. The stock tune will hold until you get it dyno'd. These three mods will give you the most "bang for the buck". The PI cams will work nicely with the new gears since the PI cams redline at about 5500 rpm compared to the NPI cams at 4500 rpm's, thus giving your more engine rpm's to play with the higher gears. Also, get a good x-pipe later on. FWIW, I wouldn't go thru the trouble and expense of buying and installing new PI heads, instead I would go buy a centri supercharger for a little bit more money. It will work great with the PI cams and intake.

For 3 grand you could probably find a low mileage PI engine or even a good 4V and put it in. That is a lot of money for a headswap for 40HP.

A Haynes can be found at any parts store. I have an old one I can send if you can't find one.

Peak HP for the PI cams will be around 5000 RPM's so the increase is pretty decent. IF you can find some used Comp 262's or VT stage 1's that would be better. If you do the install your self have a freind give you a hand and find the timing chain tool to hold the chains in place when doing the swap.

you dont need a special tool except a friend or a screw driver to hold the cam gear up. i did it in my garage three times now in about 3 to 4 hours and a case of beer. i think i spent about half the time looking for tool then i accually did work so if you got a nice tool set w/ everything organized then you should have not problems