97 GT Cooling Fan Not Working

97-2Valve

Mar 23, 2020
dayton
I have 97 GT, cooling fan does not work at all. Has a new fan and works as i have temporarily wired it to a manual switch, but I want to get it back to normal so i dont have to worry about it. I have a feeling its the CCRM but im not sure, it used to work on low speed only, now it doesnt at all. Also the A/C compressor clutch never kicks in when turning the a/c on, I believe relays for both are in the CCRM, so that could be my issue. I know they are a pain to diagnose and im looking for some guidance because I also know people have tried replacing the ccrm and still not fixing the issue.

Thanks in advance

• Sponsors (?)

You may not want to hear this. The CCRM is only really a PIA to trouble shoot to the "parts changers" of the world that are not willing to run and post the several trouble shooting steps needed to determine exactly what is really wrong. Most of the "parts changers" out there are mainly interested in the silver bullet that will solve their problem. In and out as quickly as possible with no work required.

If your goal is to correctly trouble shoot this problem then there is some information that is needed as well as some key tests..

Do you have an ODB2 scanner? It might make very short work of this problem to know:
  • What the PCM "thinks" is the engine coolant temperature is (ECT)
  • What fan speed is the PCM calling for?
ForScan ODB2 scanner w ELM327 USB

Once this is known is actually very easy to test IF the CCRM is receiving the correct commands. Further if the CCRM is producing the correct output.

For the first test I would like to know IF there is key on, AC on, power at the low pressure cycling switch. Best to use a test light that will "load" the circuit.

IF no power at the low pressure switch, Then look for a blown fuse or a problem in the AC mode control switch.

If power at the low pressure switch, then more tests are needed.

NOTE: should you wish to try changing out the CCRM, please note that not all CCRM's are the same. There are differences between the model years as well as the engine type. It's very important to get the correct CCRM for the application. I have helped more than one person with a bad CCRM who replaced it with the wrong CCRM. When it didn't solve the problem they concluded that their problem wasn't the CCRM.

I have a 3.8l 97 with cooling fan not working. I have gone through the diagnostics I find online & there is no power to the fan & no power from ccrm. My ccrm looks like a reman & there's no pn like I see on multiple sites. How can I select a correct replacement without a pn? Can it be selected with just the vin? Thanks