Electrical 98 GT Instrument Cluster - Repair or replace?

GTLucy

Aug 9, 2015
Hey All
I've checked other threads but still have questions.
My Mustang's instrument cluster has died. Fuel, Temp, Odometer, tac and volt all dead.* However, turn signals work as does the light when the headlights are on. Theft light flashes briefly when she turns over. Replaced fuses three times - twice it worked for a few minutes, third time it does nothing. I have a lead on a replacement cluster that's been tested and works but I'm worried about the PATS.

*note a while before hand, the airbag light came on and the convertible top stopped converting. Car needs to go through emissions testing in October so no more gasing up daily and driving with the speed of traffic for me!

• Sponsors (?)

From your thread it's impossible to tell IF the problem is inside the cluster or EXTERNAL to the cluster. What if your problem is actually a bad/weak cluster ground?

G204 Behind center of I/P
G203 Below rear of center console
G201 Behind I/P, at RH cowl
G103 RH front of engine compartment

If this were my car, I would test and confirm that all grounds are good by testing all black wires and black wires with a white stripes.

Howto perform charging system voltage drop test

If asking for an simple answer to your question, here's mine. Repair. Why? Because this avoids having to reprogram PATS. There are several companies that offer "bench" cluster repairs. For example "united speedometer and electrical", I have actually used their service to repair a 1996 cluster and was very happy with the service.

Here's some information about a possible of a DIY repair.

Cluster PC foil trace repair.

If replace is in order here's some information on a possible DIY PATS solution. Please note that for some model years replacing the cluster also requires reprogramming the PCM-ID which ForScan can not do.

ForScan ODB2 scanner w ELM327 USB

Likely if this were my car and a daily driver that needs a confirmed repair I would confirm the grounds AND find a local source for a cluster bench repair.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply - Yeah, after reading up on other threads I've opted to have the repair done - currently I'm sourcing someone to come out and pull it (BUT I'll definitely have them test it first) - It seems that the cluster is pretty infamous (and it IS a 20 year old car with sadly indifferent maintenance, though I try as finances allow) Dealership wanted 1K to do it - After I stopped laughing, I started to search for other options.

I LOVE and am very grateful the incredible amount of knowledge and resources to be found here.