98 Gt Starts After A Few Minutes Dies

Philber

Feb 4, 2017
Just picked up a 98 GT , the problem is it will start , the run for 10 minutes then shuts down and will not restart for at least an hour. My code reader tells me "theft detected engine shut down? The theft light does not blink or stay on.
It comes on when I turn the key then goes off when I start the car. Any help out there ??

• Sponsors (?)

Does this car have a Ford Factory anti-theft (PATS) system or after market? I ask this because the factory PATS system will never shut down the motor once started.

Does the theft light come on during the initial key on "lamp test"? Hint. Turn the key on but do NOT crank. What does the theft light do? If the theft light NEVER comes on then likely it is burned out.

My gut tells me that the apparent anti-theft is a SYMPTOM of the REAL problem. For example, a power problem to the cluster or PCM. This would cause the motor to shut down AND would prevent the motor from restarting (PATS requires a two way data transfer from the cluster to PCM).

Do you have a volt-ohm meter (VOM)? If so, are you willing to use it? More tests will be needed to narrow down the problem source.

Confirm there is key on +12 volts to the I/P fuse #18. Use a KNOWN good ground. If no voltage suspect an electric ignition switch problem.

Confirm there is key on +12 volts to the RED wire to any fuel injector, TPS or other sensor powered via a RED wire. Use a KNOWN good ground. If no power suspect a CCRM or ignition switch problem.

A set of wiring diagrams may be a big help to your trouble shooting activities. If interested in getting a copy for yourself I maybe able to help. PM if interested.

Reactions: 1 user
Follow the steps exactly. Turn the key on but do not crank. The theft light should come on and then go off after a 3 second "prove out".

If the PATS system does "prove out" that means the key has been read and accepted. PATS will allow the motor to start. Once the motor has started and ran for a few seconds, PATS is disabled and will not shut the motor down.

IF the motor now shuts down it's likely for a different reason.

Note, that after the motor is shut down this does start the PATS process over again.

Note2, IF PATS has been disabled via custom tune, the PCM will state there's a PATS problem but it still will allow the motor to start. Often the theft light will remain on if this is the case.

Note3, do the cluster gauges sweep after the motor shuts down? IF so, this is a sure sign that power has been removed from either the cluster or PCM. Bottom line. Today's cars simply will NOT run right without a strong battery and alternator. Have both tested to be sure each is in perfect working order.

No, the gauges do not sweep . And the theft light goes out when started . A local dealer told me it might be the aftermarket key , and to come in and let them hook it up and program a new key for it.
But like I said , it runs for about 5-10 minutes then shuts down and will not restart for 30 to 45 minutes. My code reader says that detected engine shut down .

It would help if you posted the full DTC codes. There's are 1,000's and they each have a story to tell.

Your post does not state what the theft light does during the restart attempts. The attempts where the motor does NOT start.