98 Mustang GT upgrades

Ford_Racing44

Nov 10, 2004
i own a 1998 GT 4.6 liter thats completely stock. i was wondering what some pretty easy, basic, upgrades i can do to get more HP without spending a whole lot of money. I was thinking K&N filter and aftermarket exhaust??

• Sponsors (?)

I know many don't agree with me, but the K&N FIPK CAI is a nice mod that doesn't cost too much. I initially tried the filter alone and felt nothing. In the 96-98's the K&N FIPK improves low-end torque as long as the exhaust stays stock. Get the one made of plastic with the heat shield. It also makes the exhaust louder and you can hear a nice whooshing sound. However, it doesn't seem to do much in the 99+ stangs. Nevertheless, it gave me about 10 rwhp on the dyno in my 96 GT. :nice:

Ford_Racing44 said:
i own a 1998 GT 4.6 liter thats completely stock. i was wondering what some pretty easy, basic, upgrades i can do to get more HP without spending a whole lot of money. I was thinking K&N filter and aftermarket exhaust??
either spend loads of money doing little upgrades like most people, or get a pot and start saving instead. A stock Stang is still a respectable peice of kit. Then when you have saved enough money buy a blower for it. Or sell the GT and use that money and the dosh you saved any buy a faster car (newer GT or Cobra or Vette.......)

Mel96GT said:
I know many don't agree with me, but the K&N FIPK CAI is a nice mod that doesn't cost too much. I initially tried the filter alone and felt nothing. In the 96-98's the K&N FIPK improves low-end torque as long as the exhaust stays stock. :nice:

Thanks, Mel. The CAI you describe is the only dyno proven one I know. For a 1998GT, your 1st mod after a good alarm is GEARS!!! 3.73's for a highway/snow driver 4.10's for anything else. GEARS!!!

300bhp/ton said:
either spend loads of money doing little upgrades like most people, or get a pot and start saving instead. A stock Stang is still a respectable peice of kit. Then when you have saved enough money buy a blower for it. Or sell the GT and use that money and the dosh you saved any buy a faster car (newer GT or Cobra or Vette.......)

What he said. Other than gears, about the only mod I did on mine that was worth it was the blower. The NPI head cars basically suck as far as power and do not respond well to most mods.

I did gears, catted x-pipe then a PI manifold for 255hp and 311tq.
will fun with a stock 99 up.
3.90 diff with a 5 spd. is nice. The PI manifold adds more usable RPM's & HP. the x-pipe added sound and torque.

mr. jones1 said:
3.90 diff with a 5 spd. is nice. The PI manifold adds more usable RPM's & HP. the x-pipe added sound and torque.

you got 255hp after your PI manifold?? Damn!!! :nice:

You think I can run with a stock 99+ GTs then?

Wait, you have a custom tune also. How do I go about getting a tune for my 98? Livernois says a tune to the ECM will benefit with the intake I have. How do I get a tune?

Sorry for hijacking.

mr. jones1 said:

You sure there isn't a PI head swap runnin around in there somewhere? What's a stock 98 5-speed make, about 190 rwhp on a good day? You need to bottle that, cause those are some great numbers from an intake and an X-pipe.

I remember back in the day when I posted something just like this. "Basic, simple upgrades". The basic and simple upgrades led me to:
1999 Cobra Wheels
MAC Catted H-Pipe
MAC Cat Back Exhaust
TKOII Transmission
3:73 Gears
Aluminum Driveshaft
Steeda LCA's
Accufab 70MM Throttle body
Accufab Plenum
Vortec V-2 S-Trim
Anderson Power Pipe
80 MM Mass Air Sensor
2003 Cobra Radiator
255 LPH Fuel Pump
38# Injectors
MAC White Face Guages
Clock replacement Fuel Pressure and Boost Guage
Pro 5.0 Shifter
Subframe Connectors
Eibach Pro-kit shocks, struts and springs
BFG 275/40 x 17 Drag Radials
Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch
Alpine 7998 with XM Radio head unit
JL Audio 500 x 1 sub. amp
JL Audio 300/4 full range amp
JL Audio competition components 6.5"
JL Audio W7 10" Subwoofer
XM Radio
Custom Projector Headlights with one piece corner marker lights
8" Shorty Antenna

and the car is currently in the shop getting a new motor / Long Tubes and off road H-Pipe...

It's an addiction my friend. Run before it's too late!!!!

thats fwhp not rwhp. removing 6 cats and using 2 high flow cats was a big change. most people go for the cat-back, I did not. The manifold is good for 25hp. The non PI heads are not as bad as the non-PI manifold.
I did not want to do a head swap and after seeing a flow comparison between pi and non-pi heads I only did the manifold.
low budget upgrades

With an o/r h pipe, k&n intake, PI intake manifold, 4.10 gears (shows less hp), aluminum flywheel and some dumped flowmaster mufflers, I made 205RWHP and 243RWTQ on a mustang dyno. I believe they said it was somewhere around 245HP and 275trq at the fw.

I'd highly recommend doing this
4.10's, PI intake, O/R X/H, Catback, shifter, K&N intake
best money I've ever spent was adjustable shocks/struts. Traction improved greatly. I used some from a foxbody. =) I'm happy with it. Tires just catch in second. I can feel that the left front of the car wants to come up more, which I've never felt before. So its time for other mods.
I have upper/lower control arms too and sportline springs. The sportlines arent good drag springs, but I'm gonna test them out at the track soon.

I've seen a few guys, including myself, go from mid 15's to high 14's in the 1/4 mile with just a tune up...wires,plugs,fuel filter...ect Take off those cats off your car and your on our way to mid 14's. then add a pi intake manifold, and your in 99+ territory. also i would highly recommend doing gears. dont be afraid to go with 4.10's no matter how many people on here tell you there too much for the car. ask anyone with 4.10's and they will tell you they are perfect for the car. unless you plan on going with a blower in the near future, then I would go with some 3.73's

I have the same car, now really that all depends on what your budget is but I will say your first mod should be a cold air intake, then I would get a pi intake(they are good for a 12+ hp to the wheels on a bone stock 98 gt but you will lose 7 ft lbs below 4K rpms but you will gain hp and torque above 4K as it’s made for high rpms) then I would get either a 70mm or 75mm throttle body with a bigger plenum( id go with professional products plenum or trickflow) then bbk long tubes and x pipe with either Borla catback or slp 1 loudmouth catback exhaust and a stage 3 comp cam and if you want to squeeze extra power get pi heads but honestly you’re better off doing without the pi heads bc the heads alone are only a 10 hp at the very most better then the non pi heads, but if u can get them for a good price and installed for under 1k I say go for it but if not don’t do it as it’s crazy to spend $1000+ for only 10 hp. You’ll get more then10 hp alone from the pi intake and it’s much cheaper and easier to install. Aside from that besides a supercharger or turbo there isn’t much you can do. With all those mods you’ll either be in very very high 280+rwhp or low 300s rwhp depending on if you get a good tune but it’s very possible to get slightly over 300 rwhp as I’ve seen ppl do it.