99 GT valve cover removal and heater core install need help?

1990StangGT

Founding Member
Jul 1, 2002
Whiteman AFB
Ok my heater core went out on my for the 5th time, I bypassed it but pretty sure i blew the valve gasket. It is leaking oil out of the left side head, but only when you drive the car will it leak (since the oil pressure rises with rpms and only leaks oil then not while car is sitting at idle which makes me think its valve gasket) and leaks no antifreeze so it isnt the head. My question is is there a special tool to reach the bottom nuts on the cover to remove it becasue i can not reach it with normal sockets or wrench. And what can i do this time to keep the heater core from destroyinh agian and foggin the windows and leaking in the floorboard? I just can not figure out why it has went threw so many cores? This will be the 1st time i will install one considering shops did all the work before. Will I need to use a special sealant or ground it or what? Any help with the removal of the valve cover and core install will help me out thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

You have to make sure to use a flexible sealant (like a really soft RTV.) The heater core expands/contracts when it changes temperature, so if the sealant is too hard, it'll crack the heater core.

OK thanks this could be why the kept breaking. And how in the heck do i get the the bottom nuts on the valve cover the fender and valve space is just to small to really fit anything in there to loosen the nuts?