A Little New To Mechanics And Well I Wanna Start Somewhere

strangeclouds89

Jun 7, 2014
Well, i bought a built 5.0, bored, cam, gt40 intake, a few other things, just built 4000 miles ago. Well someone i had working on the car flipped it. Im just now really getting into cars again, when i was 13 i remember working on old 1st gen carbs and intakes and what not. Well, i've got another body that i'm about to buy, another roller to put my motor and t5 in. Well I'm new to the whole mechanic thing really i have most tools needed as far as rachets and wrenches. I can buy other things. but how hard for it it be for my brother and I to transfer my motor and tranny to another body?
Thanks for all the help,
Daniel
Ps its a 89 going into a 90

• Sponsors (?)

Well if you have all of the correct "incidentals" (like accessories, computer, sensors, vacuum lines, bolts, etc.) and an engine hoist, it's not THAT hard. Do you still have your "flipped" car? Having everything right there will make life a LOT easier on you so you can just swap everything from the old car to the new car. If you only have your engine and trans and a roller body to put it in, you could spend a very long time (and $) just searching for all the millions of little bolts and electrical connectors and whatnot.

I'm pretty sure it would be easier to get going correctly if you had a 90 engine harness to go in the 90 car. I think the 90 needs the air bag connectors.

It's not hard to swap an engine, just take plenty of pics so you know where everything goes.

Unbolt the engine out of the 89 and put it in the 90. Everything is a bolt-up if both cars started out as V8's.The transmission & engine mounts are the same and everything should line up and bolt in with minimal problems.

The engine mounted fuel injection harness is a direct connect, plug and play item if it isn't damaged. The computers are the same. Reuse the 90 computer body harness as long as it isn't a 4 cylinder or damaged. If the 90 is missing the body computer harness or it is damaged, you'll need to find one to replace it. The 90 computer body harness had 2 odd connectors for the airbag system that are not present in other years. .

wont be too hard though, I'm gonna have a little help from the guy that built my first car i think hearers some pictures
CAM00141.jpg
CAM00141.jpg
CAM00141.jpg

also i got the Body last night, yes it started life as a V8 but an auto V8, how hard is this gonna be to change and where to start? gpotta put my lights on it too...
Watch out for the O2 sensor harness...

O2 Sensor harness interchange and modification

Originally Posted by 302EFI

Revised 16-Oct-2011 to add O2 sensor harness warnings
The wires for the 02's and low oil did not change throughout the years, they are all in the same place.
The main ones you need to worry about are (on the harness end (ECU) that plugs into the 02 plug) is:
\- 1. Lightblue / yellow
- 2. White / Purple
- 3. Purple / Yellow
The White/Purple & Purple/Yellow gets looped for a automatic ECU
The Purple/Yellow & Lightblue/Yellow for a manual ECU

See http://forums.corral.net/forums/gen...manual-auto-differences-year-differences.html for more O2 sensor wiring harness info

Basic premise to use with transmission swaps:
Only run a 5 speed trans O2 harness with an A9L. Do not run an Auto O2 sensor harness with an A9L. Doing so will damage the computer’s internal signal ground.
Only run an Auto trans O2 sensor harness with an A9P in a car that has an Auto trans. Using a 5 speed trans O2 sensor harness with an Auto trans will cause no crank problems.
See http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/749974-computer-issue.html#post7490537 for Joel5.0’s fix to the computer internal signal ground.

90 model year harness only works with 90 model cars without inspection/rework.
The 4 cylinder O2 harness uses 4 wire O2 sensors. It probably won’t work correctly without modifying it.

First thing to do is take plenty of pics of the motor in the car, and as you unhook things put maskimg tape on them and wright what it went to.

also use plastic sandwich bags to put nuts and bolts in and write 0n the bag with a magic marker ,where they came from.

I have 2 fox mustangs and was allways able to just look at the other one

I've been bagging up nuts and bolts, no barker so i put a piece of paper in there with what its to! I've just been taking apart interiors and exterior parts so far though. I think that frame on my old car is still good, no dings or nothing on the other side of it, it is possible to move the new body to old frame? would that be easier?

I've been bagging up nuts and bolts, no barker so i put a piece of paper in there with what its to! I've just been taking apart interiors and exterior parts so far though. I think that frame on my old car is still good, no dings or nothing on the other side of it, it is possible to move the new body to old frame? would that be easier?

Mustangs are unibody. There is no separate frame.