A "sorry I got my 4:10s installed today"

95vert354

Mar 19, 2006
Repeat after me......."I will never install used gears in my street car"

Had my 4:10 FRPP gears that I had swapped out of my "track only" car and had been sitting on the shelf, installed in my new '09. They didn't have any noticable wear pattern or rough spots anywhere on them....they really looked good. I was going to buy new gears for it but figured why waste the money on new ones, and I could really use the money with my cold air and dyno appointment next week.

Well...It sounds like a '79 F-600 Dump truck:mad:

Before we get into the "Sounds like it wasn't installed right" replys, I can and have installed gears myself with good sucess. When I want a set done perfectly,
I drop it off at my buddys shop and have him do it. He's a perfectionist when it comes to my cars,and he's done hundreds of gear sets. He shimmed this set 3 different times trying to get rid of the noise. Above 40mph ,it has a roar on acceleration and a whine when you let off. It will prbably run 1000,000 miles without a problem,but I couldn't drive across town without gritting my teeth.
If it was a track only car, I could live with it,in fact I wouldn't hear it over the exhaust. Lucky for me he felt bad enough about it, that he said to order a new set and install kit and he would put them in for free:nice: Just ordered.

Lesson learned when it comes to gears...spend the extra money and buy new. It could of cost me double for the labor.

BTW I love the way it drives, 4:10 is just right for this car.

• Sponsors (?)

It depends on a lot of stuff .. Personally, I wouldn't run 4.10s on a car with a blower that is on the street and track. If it's a track car than there are plenty of people running 4.56s with tall slicks. I think 3.73s are perfect for a blown street car that goes to the track, too. 4.10s for N/A. 4.30s, 4.56s, 4.88s for track cars !! Than again, everyone has their opinion and no one is really right. It's just what you like in the end.