• Mustang Forums
  • 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • 2005 - 2009 Specific Tech

"?" about u/d pullies, timing, & exhaust

  • Thread starter Thread starter FR-S8N
  • Start date Start date May 29, 2008

FR-S8N

Founding Member
May 23, 2002
1,306
0
0
McAllen, tx
May 29, 2008
#1
  • May 29, 2008
  • #1
when I had a 2001 GT a great combo was u/d pullies and timing adjuster from Steeda. good bang for the buck.


I was wondering if advancing the timing (with a diablo tuner) and a set of pullies will have the same effect? (on a 2005 GT)

Is the Magnaflow axle back exhaust a good purchase? will it help add power?
Or is borla better?
I was looking at the magnaflow kits and noticed that there is a 2 piece and a 4 piece, what is the difference?
 

rpguru

New Member
Jan 20, 2007
18
0
0
May 29, 2008
#2
  • May 29, 2008
  • #2
Not sure about adjusting the timing but the pulleys are advertised to give you like 10 more ponies.

As far as exhaust, borla and magnaflow are both very good. Magnaflow makes a deeper growl. I personally went with magnaflow because of the deeper tone, gains, and price (got a good deal). I'm assuming the 4 piece is a cat back system which I got over just the axle back.
 

NastyStang113

New Member
Sep 12, 2008
1,567
1
0
Florida
May 29, 2008
#3
  • May 29, 2008
  • #3
Steeda UDPs will net you about 6 rwhp. I know, I've installed them and got the results first hand. Exhaust really doesn't give you any power on these cars, it does make them sound a lot better. The Magnaflow exhaust system is super quiet, I wouldn't recommend it. Borla doesn't sound that great in my opinion. I'd go with the Pypes Mid Muffler System. As far as tuning, I'd go with a Xcal2 from SCT. A lot more people tune with SCT than Diablo. My personal choice in tuners is Justin with VMPTuning.com. I've got great numbers from his stuff, great customer service, very fast turn around, etc.
 

FR-S8N

Founding Member
May 23, 2002
1,306
0
0
McAllen, tx
May 30, 2008
#4
  • May 30, 2008
  • #4
ThumperMX113 said:
Steeda UDPs will net you about 6 rwhp. I know, I've installed them and got the results first hand. Exhaust really doesn't give you any power on these cars, it does make them sound a lot better. The Magnaflow exhaust system is super quiet, I wouldn't recommend it. Borla doesn't sound that great in my opinion. I'd go with the Pypes Mid Muffler System. As far as tuning, I'd go with a Xcal2 from SCT. A lot more people tune with SCT than Diablo. My personal choice in tuners is Justin with VMPTuning.com. I've got great numbers from his stuff, great customer service, very fast turn around, etc.
Click to expand...


I don't really want to upgrade exhaust since all I hear is that it doesn't add much. Just changes the sound. But the 05 GTs already sound nice.

Will investing in steeda pullies and the breenspeed SCT tune w/ bbk intake be better?
 

NastyStang113

New Member
Sep 12, 2008
1,567
1
0
Florida
May 30, 2008
#5
  • May 30, 2008
  • #5
Yes, I'd say so. I haven't done business with Bama Chips but can vouch for Justin with VMPTuning.com
 

SpartaPerformance

10 Year Member
Nov 5, 2006
2,517
61
89
Long Island NY
Jun 1, 2008
#6
  • Jun 1, 2008
  • #6
UDP's of course will net some power, made a difference in mine i went with Moto Blue. As for exhaust save your money. Start with a Cold air intake and tuner I recommend Xcal3 from SCT. This will net you more power then an exhaust will.
 

NastyStang113

New Member
Sep 12, 2008
1,567
1
0
Florida
Jun 2, 2008
#7
  • Jun 2, 2008
  • #7
Typically axle back exhausts aren't going to give you any gains. Removing cats are good for 2-4 rwhp typically. A custom tune and intake is simply the best bang for the buck when adding power. UDPs and CMCVs are worth about ~12 rwhp.

I'm running a 93 octane performance tune, C&L CAI with 88mm maf tube, SLP LMs, Steeda UDPs and Steeda CMCVs. I put down 302 rwhp and 318 rwtq on a day with high humidity and it was 85 degrees. Not too bad for the money I've invested in go fast mods.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

3
Eight inches is enough for me...
  • 351MooseStang
  • Nov 27, 2025
  • 1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech
Replies
5
Views
681
1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech Mar 2, 2026
Bullitt347
B
Where to go from here on my build…
  • B0udreaux
  • Jul 14, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
8
Views
342
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jul 18, 2026
AeroCoupe
For Sale 3-owner 1987 Mustang GT, $18K obro, Lancaster CA
  • Bill Cool
  • Oct 6, 2024
  • Fox Body Mustangs For Sale (1979-93)
Replies
4
Views
2K
Fox Body Mustangs For Sale (1979-93) Oct 13, 2024
nickyb
For Sale 91 Mustang LX 5.0 Coupe 6-speed
  • fastang67
  • Nov 30, 2023
  • Fox Body Mustangs For Sale (1979-93)
Replies
8
Views
4K
Fox Body Mustangs For Sale (1979-93) Jul 17, 2024
FastDriver
SN Mustang Magnum T56 swap
  • revhead347
  • May 24, 2024
  • 1994 - 1995 Specific Tech
Replies
15
Views
7K
1994 - 1995 Specific Tech Jun 28, 2026
GearHeadGuy
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • 2005 - 2009 Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?