AC delete/underdrive pulley

Super close but it's more like:

1592264780985.png
Hay I resemble that remark.

• Sponsors (?)

I'm still stunned about no a.c. on the street in Nevada, even in a convertible. I was there one July, and a dry heat is still hot at over 100 degrees, and it's not fun at home either. I've become a whimp about driving without AC or at least vent wings and kick panel vents. You must be well acclimated or are packing ice.
As for the alternator upgrade, search for jrichker's tech write up on here. That way you know you are getting good instructions and are not going to melt things and release the magic electrical smoke.
10 years ago, I asked about the new UD pulleys that came along in spare parts, and was told to sell them as ash trays. Upon further checking, I had two sets of stock pulleys; one on the car and the other in the UD pulley box. I have no idea where the UD ones went. I'd guess on an other engine that was out of the car for good reason.

Last edited:
Here is how to install a 3g alternator so nothing melts.

I'm still stunned about no a.c. on the street in Nevada, even in a convertible. I was there one July, and a dry heat is still hot at over 100 degrees, and it's not fun at home either. I've become a whimp about driving without AC or at least vent wings and kick panel vents. You must be well acclimated or are packing ice.
As for the alternator upgrade, search for jrichker's tech write up on here. That way you know you are getting good instructions and are not going to melt things and release the magic electrical smoke.
10 years ago, I asked about the new UD pulleys that came along in spare parts, and was told to sell them as ash trays. Upon further checking, I had two sets of stock pulleys; one on the car and the other in the UD pulley box. I have no idea where the UD ones went. I'd guess on an other engine that was out of the car for good reason.

Did you by chance, happen too quit smoking? :shrug:

It might explain the missing ashtrays. :chin

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
I've become a whimp about driving without AC or at least vent wings and kick panel vents. You must be well acclimated or are packing ice.

I never understood the "AC is for whimps, real men don't need AC" argument. Race car aside, it's what? 20 lbs and maybe 0.025HP when the system is not on to keep it on a street car?

I don't see anyone AC deleting their house with that logic. These days, a functional AC system on a fox is the rarest option IMHO.

Did you by chance, happen too quit smoking? :shrug:

It might explain the missing ashtrays. :chin
Unless you count second hand smoke, the only thing I’ve smoked was the tires. I watched my grandparents generation and just said no way.
My ash trays hold change and an occasional loose screw or paper clip. A zip loc in the arm rest seems to be holding car wash money fine.

Here's my take on pulley's.
Back in the day it really only took about 25 extra rear wheel hp, good tires and gears to outrun cars that cost double and triple what a fox cost, so pulley's mattered. (I ran them and did fine) . In 2020, those gains get you to about the quarter mile for a new camry.
So just not worth the effort.
For a fun to drive cruiser, a nice quality exhaust and gears should do it.

Deleting the AC? It's probably second to a carbswap as the most devaluing mods for a fox.

Here's my take on pulley's.
Back in the day it really only took about 25 extra rear wheel hp, good tires and gears to outrun cars that cost double and triple what a fox cost, so pulley's mattered. (I ran them and did fine) . In 2020, those gains get you to about the quarter mile for a new camry.
So just not worth the effort.
For a fun to drive cruiser, a nice quality exhaust and gears should do it.

Deleting the AC? It's probably second to a carbswap as the most devaluing mods for a fox.
Not to mention almost first in the "I dont know what I was thinking when I removed my AC, now I'm putting it back " threads.

So I know for sure I’m still running UD pulleys bc when I was in high school that was a quick “performance” thing to do. I have ac on but it doesn’t technically work bc it was pulled off for intake, heads etc swap and hasn’t been recharged. Now I don’t drive my car as much as I like bc of this weird issue with it running fine, I’ll cruise for awhile stop somewhere and then the damn car won’t start back up. I’ve been tempted to pull my ac not for “performance” reasons lol but more for the aesthetics it gives the engine bay at car shows etc. that clean simple look. On the other hand a cold ac is also a plus! I’ll have to get it recharged and see how it does. Last time I had the ac looked at and recharged was back in high school!! Compressor still worked before disconnecting everything so we shall see. Guess I’m not sure what to do about my pulley situation bc I can’t say I’ve have any charging issues since I’ve had them way back when, have a the new alt set up and all seems fine charging wise.