Acetone (A mustang's best friend)

ive been doing it for the past few tanks and havent noticed much of a difference. the biggest difference ive ever noticed in gas mileage was when i replaced my bad injector. i went from 15 mpg on the highway to 20-21. i need to find a whole set of injectors and replace them all

• Sponsors (?)

i've been using it in my bronco for about a month now. i have def noticed a diff. i get highway mileage around town. i'd say on average 2-3 miles more a gallon. so it's worth it for me. no ill effects so far.

I've heard of these hardware store additives before, but usually with regards to denatured alcohol for the purposes of improving your emissions scores. Logic would seem to dictate that, when running acetone, if you're getting better MPG then you're also putting out better emissions ... but has anyone seen anything one way or the other as far as emissions readings at the inspection station to say if they help/hurt your scores? Just curious, as every little bit helps when it comes time to face the Smog Nazis...

Another question: Would running with acetone added require (or perhaps enable) me to advance or retard my timing? I'm probably thinking of two totally different areas here, one involving octane ratings and the other involving ... ummm ... Home Depot voodoo ... but just curious as to whether or not it would result in a condition to allow me to bump the timing up more or instead requiring me to crank it back.

FWIW, acetone, paint thinner, and those sorts of chemicals purchased in large and/or frequent quantities 'round these parts are watched VERY closely by store personnel and law enforcement, alike. Maricopa County is pretty much the meth capital of the Southwest, if not #1 out of all 50 States.

Darkwriter77 said:
FWIW, acetone, paint thinner, and those sorts of chemicals purchased in large and/or frequent quantities 'round these parts are watched VERY closely by store personnel and law enforcement, alike. Maricopa County is pretty much the meth capital of the Southwest, if not #1 out of all 50 States.

Not much of a concern unless you are in fact, running a meth lab.

Hurry! That Daggar guy just bought another can of acetone from Home Depot! It's his second in 3 months! Get your riot gear men! We're going in!

bust2.jpg

5.0 con-vert said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: Now if you were walking down the sudafed aisle with the acetone in hand...

HAHAHAHA... I'm going to try that one day just to see what kind of reaction I get. In this state you gotta get the sudafed from the drug counter and provide ID and sign a form... I'm gonna plop the can of acetone on the counter and tell em I need a case of sudafed.

Daggar said:
HAHAHAHA... I'm going to try that one day just to see what kind of reaction I get. In this state you gotta get the sudafed from the drug counter and provide ID and sign a form... I'm gonna plop the can of acetone on the counter and tell em I need a case of sudafed.
:lol: :lol: :lol: I'll bail ya out for that one!

My immediate results when I first started doing this were almost unbelievable. I did it on my V8 ZJ, and went from getting 21-22mpg around town on the realtime mpg gauge to 27-28. Cost $3.99 a gal from the base exchange.