Adding a Mach 460 to a 94/95 non Mach setup

doctorj357

5 Year Member
Aug 7, 2018
Michigan
I have a 1995 GTS that I'd like to upgrade the sound. Currently its the plane ole cassette with stock 5x7 speakers. I recently came into possession of a near complete Mach 460 rear deck (two speakers / two tweaters / two amps / factory wiring) for $25. For $10 more I got two Mach 460 door speakers in another deal, and already installed them. Then for free, I have two more AMPs, which I believe were from a rear deck setup and still has most of the factory wiring attached. Not sure if those can be used for the front or if they'll just have to remain as spares.

So for $35 I have nearly a full setup (minus door tweeters) that I'm thinking about putting in. Does anyone have a full wiring schematic on how to do this? Would there be compatibility issues with the stock head unit? I'm assuming the amps were 2ch meaning I'd need two more up front for the doors and eventual tweeters.

• Sponsors (?)

the factory amps are kinda garbage, and the mid-woofers aren't even wired in stereo (they're mono) AND are 8ohm speakers.. so if you go with aftermarket speakers you wouldn't be able to use the stock amps (unless you got 8 ohm speakers)
Best bet is to go with aftermarket amps, but that means you'll need to wire to the factory amp locations (kind of a huge pain in the ass, I just did this to add an OEM infinity amp from a chrysler into mine to replace the mach 460)
But if you want to do this, there's a stock amp you'll need under the head unit (controls all the tweeters and sends the signal to the 2 amps in the trunk) and I can get you the schematics as I just did it... ok I just attached the PDF file actually. Feel free to ask any further questions also.
Make note that the speakers in the top right of diagram are the woofers (8 ohm) and the speakers on the bottom are all the tweeters (4ohm)

Attachments

• MustangPremiumSound.pdf
    83.8 KB · Views: 389
Hi,

This thread is an interesting find...

Having gone through a minor series of changes to the car over the past year, it is now as I want it (original wheels, original mirror, stock spoiler, original radio cassette - basically, I've removed everything that wasn't "standard" and put it back to what it should be) the only thing outstanding would be a CD player.

Having the 1994 V6 without the Mach 460 this could be a challenge as I don't want to remove the existing radio cassette that is in the car but add just the CD unit in to the cubby hole below, but I don't have the correct connectors for it in the car - it looks like it's a square-ish one and a longer one on the back of the unit from what I can see and the car just has 2x long connectors as those that go into the existing tape player.

Interestingly, there does appear to be a spare set of these long, standard connectors in there which I don't know what they are for - the tape radio is in and working and there is another set of plugs floating around. I have got a set of iso converters for these from the Sony CD unit that was in the car when I got it.

So my question(s) is (are) if I purchase the 1994 Mustang CD player from somewhere and get the wiring connectors for it as well, will it be possible to Cobble something together with the connectors I have in the car, the iso converters and the connector wiring to the CD player so that it will work in the car in addition to the Radio cassette without the need for the full Mach 460 amp and set up?

Hope this makes sense and thanks in advance for any help / pointers.

Oh, and sorry to hijack the original thread but it seemed like a good place to post and may help the OP as well...

Regards

TMW

PS. Should have added, I did look into this a year or so ago but lost interest at the time. Now looking to resurrect once again...

Well right now I got the intake pulled apart so this has effort has been tabled. But wanted to say thank you to Jamee for the wiring schematic. Confusing, but its exactly what I need, thank you............

Having dealt with the Mach 460 system, I wouldn't bother putting it in anything. Only OEM speakers work with it, and it isn't even that good. I blew a door speaker about 2 years ago and ended up pulling the Mach 460 system after I had issues finding replacements. A basic 4 channel amp would be a better setup, and less time to install.