Interior and Upholstery Adhesion Promoter

Hi all,

I am looking to freshen up my interior and possibly change the color. I will most likely use SEM Landau black. However, I am curious if I should also use SEM adhesion promoter. I have read of some people using bulldog adhesion promoter or not using an adhesion promoter at all. Is there a big difference between a more expensive promoter such as bulldog and a cheaper one like duplicolor?

I'd appreciate any insight. Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

Yes, most people do use it and have good results. It's recommended.

WIth that said, when i painted my cupholder center console, i did not use the promoter. I prepped it really well and sprayed in SEM Landau black and it had held up impressively well. I cant scratch it at all.

I painted my entire interior with SEM Landau Black and SEM Titanium Gray from NPD.
I scrubbed everything down first with water/dawn and then water with magic erasers. I then used the SEM vinyl prep spray followed by the color. It came out great and held up on everything 100% accept the aftermarket plastic covers that wrap around the seatbelts between the seats. The paint constantly scraped off of them and very easily. I replaced them with new titanium colored ones so all is fine now but the seats, center counsel, dash, door panels, trims and side panels all held up 100% and looks brand new without being able to tell its painted. Just Clean it well and you will be happy with the results I’m sure with or without the promoter.

I chose not to use the adhesion promoter, I had saw and read of experiences with it causing the color to be off on the final product

I can't say how it will hold up with out it yet as the car isn't done but the finish is perfect. I used Landau black and Napa red (both SEM)

PXL_20210703_190001305.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
I chose not to use the adhesion promoter, I had saw and read of experiences with it causing the color to be off on the final product

I can't say how it will hold up with out it yet as the car isn't done but the finish is perfect. I used Landau black and Napa red (both SEM)

PXL_20210703_190001305.jpg
Yeah, I've seen a lot of notable people on YouTube stay away from it for that reason. However, I was thinking I might try out a trunk panel with the Promoter first to see how it goes. Also, dash came out good! Definitely curious to see how the rest of the car comes out.

Reactions: 1 user