Advice Needed On 1969 F Code 302 2v Motor Stock Rebuild

RudyK

Dec 22, 2017
My '69 convertible currently has a (mostly) '79 2v 302 in it that I'm intending to replace with a numbers matching period correct stock motor. I'm planning to keep all the exterior of the engine both stock looking with numbers matching parts, but see how efficient I can make the motor with any non-visible upgrades to see how far beyond my motors original 210HP I can get. I'm planning the following internal upgrades:

- COMP Cams Ultra Pro Magnum 1.6 ratio 7/16 stud mounted roller rockers with Crower 0.865" short Polylocks, purely to clear stock valve covers
- COMP Cams roller cam and hydraulic lifters - something with a mild street performance, perhaps 270?
- Porting and polishing standard iron cast '69 heads with 1.6" exhaust and 1.9" intake valves
- Hypereutectic aluminium pistons and increasing compression ratio to either 10 or 10.5:1 on premium gas
- Hi-po cast exhaust manifolds (yes I know they're visibly different but still look pretty stock...)
- Port matching the standard 2v intake manifold and gasket to the ported heads
- Pertronix Igniter II points and coil replacement (will also do new HT leads at the same time)
- K&N air filter

This may sound a little odd, but I want to keep my original numbers matching Autolite 2100 carb (1.08 venturi) although I would consider a 1.33 venturi version if I can find one. I have the following questions I'm hoping for some advice on:

1 - I discarded the idea of a 347 stroker kit as restricting myself to the original 2v carb would not allow me to unleash the strokers full potential. Or is there a decent benefit to it anyway?
2 - Is porting, polishing and matching the heads and intake manifold going to achieve anything or just hurt low end torque?
3 - Likewise increasing the valves to 1.6" and 1.9"?
4 - Have I missed any other 'invisible' upgrades that would make more sense or are worth doing as well?

Much appreciate any advice you guys can give!

• Sponsors (?)

porting the heads will gain you power, leave off the polishing though you dont need it for the street. in fact in just about every build i have seen, polishing actually costs a bit of power on street engines.

port matching is always good, both intake and exhaust.

an invisible upgrade would be hipo 289 exhaust manifolds. they are not as good as headers, but better than the stock log manifolds. you can port those as well to gain even more flow.

i would also either search up a stock four barrel intake manifold and use a 4100 autolite carb, or modify an edelbrock performer(not the rpm) or the older F4B edelbrock, or weiand action plus intake to look stock by grinding off the manufacturer identification markings, and then paint the intake engine color to further disguise it.

porting the heads will gain you power, leave off the polishing though you dont need it for the street. in fact in just about every build i have seen, polishing actually costs a bit of power on street engines.

port matching is always good, both intake and exhaust.

an invisible upgrade would be hipo 289 exhaust manifolds. they are not as good as headers, but better than the stock log manifolds. you can port those as well to gain even more flow.

i would also either search up a stock four barrel intake manifold and use a 4100 autolite carb, or modify an edelbrock performer(not the rpm) or the older F4B edelbrock, or weiand action plus intake to look stock by grinding off the manufacturer identification markings, and then paint the intake engine color to further disguise it.

Many thanks for your reply. Yes, I've already got the hi-po exhaust manifold and I'll be sure to port both it and the intake manifold. I took the heads to my machine shop earlier today, am looking forward to seeing the results shortly!