Advice on 3rd brake light or not

lemosley1973

Doing something with a heavy tranny now
Feb 18, 2019
Clover, SC
I acquired a rear decklid for my 88 convertible because I need the lugagge rack and spoiler off of it.

This lid is from a newer Fox with the 3rd brake light. My old deck lid doesn't have a sport for the 3rd brake light, soI'd have to wire the 3rd brake light in.

Should I put the new deck lid on and wire the 3rd light in or just swap the luggage rack over to the old deck. I'm not sure if the car would look better with the 3rd brake light or without it.

I assume the 3rd light isn't acting as structural support for the spoiler.

• Sponsors (?)

I wouldt drive a car without one. So many people are trained to react to the 3rd light.

I had a DD with a burned out 3rd brake light and always observed people late braking and then swearing at me. I fixed the light and somehow all that stopped.

i consider it the most important of the three lights

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Didn't know that. Maybe the lid was replaced but I haven't found any dangling plugs that would connect the 3rd light, though I haven't specifically looked.

Did 88a have 4 or 5 luggage rack pieces. Tou can see mone only had 4.

20200713_194814.jpg

Coupes and convertibles had luggage racks. Coupes were uncommon with them, but they were available

BUT, I've seen 4, 5 and 6 rails.

Four
6309410012_large.jpg

Five
1594686158418.png

Six
1594686092559.png

I've only seen 5 on convertibles.

I think you have an 'coupe trunk lid that happened to have a 4-rail luggage rack. Rare part.

This is what should be on an '88 vert
1594686310414.png

Interesting. Too bad some idiot removed them (not me). God I hate people.

The lid I acquired for a spare is correct for my year, in that case. However, the left corner was damaged and the repair was bondo on that I found as I was wire brushing the rust around the seams (because the seem sealer failed). My decklid is perfect, other than the bondo job on the holes so...what to do. The lid was essentially free - I was after the hood since mine had a 4" cowl hood, which is ridiculous, not to mention it blocks your view. It's a nice Cervinis hood, so it gets sold or traded (maybe for some gt40 heads and intake).

Maybe I can source the luggage pieces....thought I doubt it because the ones on the replacement are riveted in place, and I assume there is some sort of bracket underneath those that is secure to the deck somehow.

The other thing is I need some sort of sealer for the luggage rack pieces - I'd imagine it was rubber back in the day.