Aftermarket clutch with stock flywheel dangerous (shatter?)

bsmoke

Sep 14, 2010
Have you heard of stock flywheels shattering when used with an aftermarket clutch?

I heard some things about this and called Exedy.
They told me no if you just daily drove it but that stock flywheels are'nt made for aftermarket clutches when it comes to racing and that if you race your car you can shatter it under high RPMs if you use an aftermarket clutch.

So what about the person who races their car once a month or something on a road race like me?

Someone that does not track the car?

Don't get me wrong... sometimes I do get on the car. When I have fun I get her to about 6.3k RPMs.
There's no way I can really measure how many times in a month I decide just to take my car to high RPM's though when I am just alone to feel my car run and enjoy it.
Maybe I go a month without it... maybe I go a week and do it 5 times

I was really worrying and did not want to use the lightweight STEEL flywheel that Exedy offered because it was as light as aluminum.
It is the ONLY one they offer with the Exedy Mach 400 Clutch I ordered though.

They told me not to use other companies flywheels other than stock because the dimensions are often different and cause chatter,noise, and fitment issues.

So the choice is stock flywheel or aluminum feel with a daily driver.

Is it a BAD idea to use a stock flywheel with an aftermarket clutch if you do ANYTHING but daily drive?
Are you going to shatter your flywheel?

But on the other side...I heard an aluminum flywheel is harder on the engine for
everyday driving if a person relies on the engine to slow down (I.E.) coasting...
rather than using the break because of the flywheel moving faster because of it's light weight.
I have heard this can lead to a much shorter engine life if you do not use the break to slow down
instead of letting the car slow down on it's own.
I actually prefer to coast rather than just BREAK.
If anything out of traffic safety.
Truth to this part of the thread?

Anyways...
Aftermarket clutches and Stock flywheels
for us that do more than just daily drive....
Opinions, experiences?

And... if you had to make my choice between the stock flywheel risk of shatter, or the everyday wear
on the engine of the light weight flywheel.. which would it be and why?

BTW I am running 312RWHP 308 trq will see 400 max on the car someday if ever.
(clutch is Exedy Mach 400)

• Sponsors (?)