Aftermarket Doors for '65 - How's the fit?

Ferf

Dec 6, 2002
I need to replace both doors (not skins....the entire door) on my '65 coupe. I am looking to order them from Mustangs Unlimited or CJ Pony Parts (depending on the cost of shipping since they need to come Truck Freight). How is the fit on these aftermarket doors?

Thanks,

Chris

• Sponsors (?)

i second that, i bought front and rear valances, the rear is close enought to fit, but the front is a quarter inch too short on each side(width wise), better to find used originals and fix them up, try ebay they always have stuff for the 70 it should be no problem find 65-66 stuff

matt

We just got done reskinning both doors.After working the bodylines and the fit you would be better off trying to find good doors.Not sure on the fit of aftermarket doors, but if they are anything like the skins youre in for alot of labor.My parts came from CJ Pony.I estimate that Ive got 500.00 per door.

My mothers cousin is doing the work on my car. He has owned his own reputable body shop for well over 20 years. He feels my current doors are not really worth the time and effort to fix. There is rust holes in the bottom outer skin, holes in the bottom of the door, a previous owner cut out speaker holes in the door, etc.

He knows that it will be some work to line up an aftermarket door, we were just wondering how bad is it going to be.

Thanks,

Chris

doors

I used repro doors on both my fastback and coupe mostly because of rust inside and out. In a word they do not fit well. The main contours may not line up with the rest of the car. I have also run into problems mounting the window regulators and other internal hardware. They are also use very thin metal and are easy to dent while "manipulating" the fit. If you are looking for OEM fit or show car quality work with the original doors or find good used doors.

That being said I am by no means an experienced bodyman and I'm sure others know the tricks to make these look good.

Ferf, I have a similar problem with speaker holes. My doors are pretty cherry except the holes. I think what I'll end up doing is either filling the holes in with metal and covering the whole door with vinyl (leather would be cool), or sanding the texture off the doors and filling the texture on the rear panels and just painting it all again.

I live in the Portland, OR area and see original doors from most years of classic mustangs on a regular basis (as well as hoods, decklids and fenders). If you have craigslist.com in your area check it out. It would save you a pile of cash for shipping.:nice:

Check with NPD; not only are they less expensive but I believe they are an improved repro from the first ones that pretty much sucked. NPD continues to find better vendors for repros, such as the valances that most sell or the export braces,