aftermarket steering wheel on 93 question

MrKwik

Founding Member
Jan 29, 2000
Kansas City, Kansas
I put an aftermarket steering wheel on my 93 convertible. Problem is that they dont list a kit for this year because of the air bag so I used a kit for an 85-89. it works and everything but there is a gap of like an inch between the plastic trim on the column and the metal cover on the adaptor hub. Anybody ever put an aftermarket wheel on a 90-93? What did you do to make it look right?

• Sponsors (?)

I just put one on my 90. I used a "Grant style" Pilot brand kit from Auto Zone. Did you remove that plastic part w/ the 3 grooves in it for the electrical? I left it there so the horn would work, had to modify it a bit for that trim ring to fit. It kind of makes the gap not so bad.

I removed the clockspring, slipring, whatever you call it. I removed all the other air bag wiring from the car so I decided that it could go too. So basically all I see in the gap is the actual steering shaft. I am eventually goint to try to get the horn to work with the pieces from the APC install kit.

Not being negative to just be negative, but if you are attempting to install anything that was made by APC it will NEVER fit properly. I have never heard anything even halfway good about their products and have personal experience with their horrible fit and finish.

Good luck.

actually i got a pair of "ultra plasam white" headlights that fit perfectly, but other than that i have never heard a good thing about APC. I was looking at those Grant wheels in Autozone but didn't really look to see if they fit, i have a 93 GT, so subscribing.

I have heard that you can take the pre-air bag steering column plastic and fit it to the post-air bags cars to make up the difference...when you remove the clockspring, and whatever internals, do the blinker's self reset still work? Or is only the horn affected? And if you can, post of pic please, as this is an idea I have been kicking around a while too.

I removed the light for the airbag cause it was flashing. Then guess what....It has a backup chime in case the bulb goes out :nonono: It's the blue box under the back of the stereo.

The kit came w/ 2 sizes of trim ring. I put the larger one on. Nevermind the dirtiness of my car, I hadn't got it cleaned up yet from the paint job and putting it back together.

attachment.php

wythors said:
Not being negative to just be negative, but if you are attempting to install anything that was made by APC it will NEVER fit properly. I have never heard anything even halfway good about their products and have personal experience with their horrible fit and finish.

Good luck.

The reason it doesnt fit right is because I used a kit that was designed for an older car. Its not APC's fault, its mine. The kit actually works fine for what it is designed for. I have used APC corner lights and stuff like that in the past and have no complaints.

I thought about the pre airbag trim but didnt all 87-89's have tilt wheel? Will the trim pieces fit on a non tilt column?

I removed all the airbag sensors, wiring, control module and the whole nune yards. Thats whay I removed the clock spring and as far as I can tell it does not affect the blinker lever or anything else but the horn.

That looks not bad at all. Maybe cut out some 5/8th plexi, round off th edge, paint it black, and figure out a way to stick it behind the wheel. If there are threaded holes you could even screw it in. Thanks for the pics!

PNY PWR said:
I removed the light for the airbag cause it was flashing. Then guess what....It has a backup chime in case the bulb goes out :nonono: It's the blue box under the back of the stereo.

The kit came w/ 2 sizes of trim ring. I put the larger one on. Nevermind the dirtiness of my car, I hadn't got it cleaned up yet from the paint job and putting it back together.

attachment.php
what wheel/kit did you get, and where did you get it?

Update:
I stumbled across an 88LX notch with a non tilt wheel at a salvage yard yesterday and grabbed the column trim thinking maybe I could use it. It is longer and the hole at the top is smaller so it looked promising. No luck. The shape at the top near the cluster is different so there is interferance there and it is too long up by the wheel as well. Just thought I would mention in case anybody else was going to try a trim swap.