ahhh yes another mpg thread

jmd2914

Founding Member
Sep 6, 2002
Napa, California
alright well im kinda wondering if its possible to build a fox to be fast and still get decent gas mileage being that gas is getting up to close to 3.75 where im at. anyway, is it possible? and what kind of mileage should i expect??? thanks

joel

• Sponsors (?)

when I bought my car it had a 2.3 and if I babied it I could squeeze 20mpg out if it, but you had to damn near floor the thing to keep from getting run over by a larger car, so there went any extra mpg. when I stayed on the gas I maybe avg about 16 mpg. might as well have a v8, so I swapped one in. besides, in the long run I think it would cost more to build a reliable 2.3t than a stout 5.0 with some bolt ons.

i'm not sure and can't remember what my old car got after cam/intake but there are a few guys on there that still get decent mileage city/highway with heads/cam/intake.....that's kinda my big thing too since i drive 46 miles one way to work each day granted it's not my only vehicle but i still chose to drive the msutang more :D....best so far in the 95 is 27 mpg average is 25-26 mpg highway 19-22 city when i calculated it awhile back.

A stock 5.0 will get anywhere from 17-20 "around town" which in my case is rural windy county roads, usually anywhere from 40-50mph speed limit...it all depends how "spirited" i drive...usually its around 17-18 but i have seen 20 before when i keep my foot out of it

On the highway I once saw 24.5 with about 600lbs worth of people in the car...(me around 190 at the time, my dad about the same, and my friend in the back tipping the scales around 220) and that was on a 3 hr trip from carlisle, pa back to jersey in a stock 91 LX 5.0 5-spd w/2.73's

as for the turbo 2.3's, i had a stock turbo coupe motor in an 88 LX and saw around 21-22...this was with the ECU set in "Premium" mode and around 12 pounds of boost.

as for a 5.0 thats even geared, start subtracting from the fuel mileage numbers. more gear = more rpm = less mpg...nevermind when you start upgrading things and getting into bigger injectors, etc

Theres a guy local to me who has a 400+whp 2.3 turbo and he gets 30-35 mpg on the highway and mid 20's in the city. Don't tell me that's barely better than a 5.0, lol. I have one myself as well and they aren't too bad on gas really.

as an owner of an 88 2.3lx stang and 88 Turbo Coupe t-bird I will never believe those MPG stats posted for those powerplants.

Now, my Supercharged GT with a t-5 and 3:73's HAS knocked down 23 mpg on strictly HWY driving with cruise set on 65mph for nearly 4 hours of the trip.

In the city, well.. mileage goes to crap as one should expect.

All in all, a 2.3l turbo car isn't a great option for performance AND fuel economy. It hurts to say it, but the new ls engines equipped with the 6-speed trannys seem to be some the best performance per fuel economy packages out there.

It hurts to say it, but the new ls engines equipped with the 6-speed trannys seem to be some the best performance per fuel economy packages out there.

Amen brotha...i saw a brand new C6 'Vette in the showroom yesterday...of course we all know they have the 400hp LS2 V8...the ratings on the window sticker were 18 city 28 highway. Wow. Based on what I know about driving in my area, I am usually able to get a bit better than the "city" rating from the EPA, so I would assume that if i was to drive a brand new vette in a tame manner, I could get 20mpg. Combine that with 30mpg on the highway and 400hp on tap when you want it...that really is like perrrrfect...too bad the vette is totally impractical in most other ways...

I drive 46 miles 1 way to work, and it's just about all 65-75MPH. My pretty much stock carbed 85 gt with an intake and headers/ off road H pipe, 2-1/2 inch dynomax system and 3.55's gets a pretty consistant 21mpg. But If I drive it hard around town it'll drop down to about 16-18.

2.73 gears and lots of low end power. I was getting high 20's highway and about 20 running it hard around town and still could pull a high 13/low 14 1/4 but then I did H/C/I and some other goodies...really need a dyno tune to get any mileage back.

I had pulleys, e-fan, 2 1/4" Dynomax cat-back, FPR, Jacobs ignition kit, K&N panel filter, and 70mm TB/EGR.

Best I ever got out of the car was 23mpg on a highway trip. Back with 2.73s I could get 17-19. Ever since I've done gears I've driven the car with a heavy foot so I get around 14-17. About all I say is damn, pay for my gas, and by the time I start the car up I've done forgotten about it.

I very rarely track it but I do recall getting 280 to the tank (20 or 23mpg?) on a trip to PA on my AOD with 3.73s, underdriven A-trim, intake, full exhaust, TB/etc. No heads or anything. Sometimes I wish I kept it like that :rolleyes:

I'm glad you didn't :D

Not sure what I'm going to get this year. Last year I figured I was getting around 23mpg on the highway. That was with 30# injectors, heads, cam and intake with 3.73's. I got better gas mileage than my father in laws 95 GT with 3.73's.

This year.................not optimistic.

poor baby :p