Air Sucking Sound from Intake

TurkeyLeg

Oct 14, 2007
on my '88 5.0, I have a sound that I describe as a fairly loud air sucking sounding when I give it some throttle(both in neutral and when its in gear). It sounds like its coming from the throttle body area, and its loud enough that I can hear it when I'm driving. It happens for a second right after I step on the throttle fast, then as it revs higher, it goes away. Also, when I'm cruising, if I give it just a little bit of gas, I can hear the sucking sound constantly. I have no vaccum leaks and I have lcleaned out the throttle body and entire intake. Its very annoying. Any help would be appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

Generally the area you need to really clean on the EGR is the Pintle Valve and seat. They can get pretty clogged up with carbon deposits. I would check for good operation while the valve is off the car. This way you can see if it is sealing well enough.

That being said...i doubt thats your problem. I would double check all vac connections and all the connections at the intake tract and TB/EGR interface.

Its more of a whooshing sound like its sucking in a big gulp of air when you step on it. I'm running a cold air intake. I didn't even know that there is such a thing as an air silencer. Sounds like that is the issue, so I guess its pretty normal then to hear that whooshing sound??? Thanks for the responses, this thing is great.