Airaid Intake ?

PKGFAST

Mar 22, 2017
Hello I'm new here and sorry if someone had ask this question before.

I got my 16 GT dyno after doing a Bama Tune and didn't do Well as I was hopping for . Only 380 WHP :-(

Here's my question. Dyno guy said that my Airaid Intake is not doing anything for me since I have it with the plastic cover it came with . He said that if I didn't have that I might of made more power. Does anyone know of this is true??

Thank you .

Attachments

• IMG_5169.jpg
    IMG_5169.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 220
  • Sponsors (?)

I used to have my trucks tuned and ran cold air intakes with them. I can tell you this, any CAI that doesn't require a tune to correct the mass air transfer function isn't worth the effort to kick it out of the way. Ford's ecu programming adjust fuel and timing based on what the mass air meter reads, and it has some tolerance built in, if you can not flow more air than the stock mass air table can handle then you will not make more power, period. Most CAI's on the market are just bling, they only look good while lightening your wallet. If you want to make power then get a JLT or similar brand that requires a tune,it actually flows more air than the stock computer can handle, hence the tune. As for Bama, well I haven't heard anything good about them, and i'll leave it at that.

All I did was replace the air tube with the airaid modular intake tube to eliminate the resonance chamber and put in a better flowing filter such as a K&N or an AEM filter in the stock air box. It flows just as much as the more expensive airaid intakes and cost me less than 2 bills. Also if your local dealer is strict, than my setup is a lot more warranty friendly because the stock air box is still in place.

I too also have a 2016 GT manual and I had a local tuner do his magic and my base numbers before the tune were 382/365 to the rear wheels. That was with a Airaid cold air intake with plastic cover and a Resonator delete / Ford x-pipe, and Roush axel backs. After the tune it went to 402/375. I was thinking it should be higher. So I looked and noticed that the JLT, Steeda, or Ford CAI all didn't use a plastic cover like the AiRaid and the Steeda and JLT generally had 8-10 rwhp more. So I took the plastic cover off and noticed a big seat of the pants increase. I'm waiting to see if the 2018 direct port fuel injection will bolt on to my coyote motor. I'll do a Dyno to see if I gained anything, and then add the direct port and go from there. As mentioned in some of the earlier posts the stock air box does flow very well, but having an open air box doesn't hurt. Only the dyno will tell.

I too also have a 2016 GT manual and I had a local tuner do his magic and my base numbers before the tune were 382/365 to the rear wheels. That was with a Airaid cold air intake with plastic cover and a Resonator delete / Ford x-pipe, and Roush axel backs. After the tune it went to 402/375. I was thinking it should be higher. So I looked and noticed that the JLT, Steeda, or Ford CAI all didn't use a plastic cover like the AiRaid and the Steeda and JLT generally had 8-10 rwhp more. So I took the plastic cover off and noticed a big seat of the pants increase. I'm waiting to see if the 2018 direct port fuel injection will bolt on to my coyote motor. I'll do a Dyno to see if I gained anything, and then add the direct port and go from there. As mentioned in some of the earlier posts the stock air box does flow very well, but having an open air box doesn't hurt. Only the dyno will tell.

Thank you I'll be doing that too and see if I notice a difference.