alright....To hell with flowmaster 2 chambers!

5.02GO

Founding Member
Jun 26, 2001
Ky, Blue Sky Country
After 10 years of flowmaster 2 chambers and a 200 mile round trip friday night, my ears can no longer tolerate these dronin' muthertruckers. I did consider flowmaster force II cat backs (3 chamber). I did read that some people said that there was still a noticable drone present.

I have been searching thru threads for a couple of hours now and believe that the Borla XS mufflers are for me. From what i have read, they are supposed to be very quiet with little to no drone.

From what i have seen on borlas website, they do not make a catback system for my car (1993 LX). Besides i think they're tips look like crap
anyhow. So i figured that i could purchase the stainless steel tips somewhere else and just weld in the borla xs's.

I cannot find a part number or anything on the just the mufflers for my car. Only information borla gives is measurements. I have no idea what i need.

Does anyone have any numbers that i can use? Does anyone use borla xs's? And where can you buy em'?
I am using the stock H pipe by the way.

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

You could also check out http://www.mustangexhaust.com and register (It's Free!). You can visit the forums and listen to several clips of different exhaust on a Mustang similar to yours. They list year, modifications, and the full exhaust combo on most of them.

Or...you could use this as an excuse to change rear gears; maybe bumping up the rpm's a couple hundred would get you out of drone territory.

Michael Yount said:
Put a couple of Dynomax Super Turbos on it and be done with it. Your ears will thank you.
I agree with Michael.

I switched from old 2 chamber Flows to Super Turbos and it quieted it up, but still sounds good at RPM.

I also picked up 5 RWHP and 3 ft Lbs to boot.

Not bad for $35 a peice from a local muffler shop.

You heard right, the 3 chamber can also be very loud, as soon as i got the h/c/i setup on my car it became extremely loud, enough that i'm a bit hesitant to start it late night.
Bassani and magnaflow are also good choices to quiet the car (somewhat), not to loud cruising or at idle, but when you rip into it, you know somethings there.

I am now gonna consider the dynomax super turbos. Since i cannot find any info on the borlas.

Looks like dynomax has a catback system for my car. Oh, and look it has the ORIGINAL style tips too. HOOYAA!

I did go and download a couple of exhaust samples. The turbos dont sound to bad. The recordings were a bit distorted though.

Anyone tried a dynomax cat back?

Thanks for the help guys!

5.02GO said:
I am now gonna consider the dynomax super turbos. Since i cannot find any info on the borlas.

Looks like dynomax has a catback system for my car. Oh, and look it has the ORIGINAL style tips too. HOOYAA!

I did go and download a couple of exhaust samples. The turbos dont sound to bad. The recordings were a bit distorted though.

Anyone tried a dynomax cat back?

Thanks for the help guys!

Just bought Spintech Sportman Streets for my LX and they sound incredible with longtubes no cats and tailpipes. I did notice the car pulls harder with them than my flow masters dumped.

yeah i ditched my dumped flows to, took all the sound deadaning out and abotu 2 weeks later the flows flowed their way to the dump. Put on a set of summit glasspack and would never go back.. least with the turbo setup they work and sound awsome. Although i'm not sure i would want to put a glass pack on a car without a turbo or somethign to quiet it up a little.

I've had one, two and three chamber Flowmasters on a variety of cars -- quite frankly -- I could rarely tell them apart. They're simply all way too loud for these old ears. There just isn't a whole lot between OEM and 'too loud'. The Dynomax Super Turbos are about the only thing I've been able to ID that come close to being in the middle.

Be careful of the straight-through perforated designs by companies like Magnaflow or Bassani -- as soon as the packing deteriorates a bit, they get noticeably louder -- at least both of mine did.

Super Turbo mufflers from Dynomax will be really quite. On the highway, at idle but they are very good mufflers.

I had a pair on my 93GT when I was commuting between college and home (60 miles each way) They are great mufflers!

Michael Yount said:
5.0toGo - you might also consider putting long tubes on it -- I know of a couple of cases of guys that added long tubes and said that it virtually eliminated the drone/resonance.

I'd rather not bother with long tubes. If the dynomax super turbos are quiet like you say, then i should be fine. Kinda sounds like you and I have the same "type" of ears.

I always liked the "flowmaster" sound. Over the past year or two i have noticed that the WHUUUUUUU (drone) was hurting my ears. Friday night, enough is enough. I just cant take it anymore. Whether its my ears hurting and/or me getting a little older - i dont care. THOSE damn things have gotta go!:nice:

Oh, those dynomax dont drone or have very little drone. Right mike?

Thanks mike!

That drone is a resonance that can be masked with mufflers, but it probably can't be eliminated. I've not used the dynomax super turbos myself - unfortunately they don't make it in a configuration that will work on my Volvo. But the posts are unanimous - they're the quietest aftermarket around.

Go to Advance Auto Parts and test the sound of all the Dynomax muffs. Its like car speakers, you press the button and you hear the muffler sound. I have the dynos on my 460 setup and they sound great. Cool thing is they were throwing out the mufflers, brand new, because they were returns. They were perfect, and I would have been fired for taking them, but oh well. It chaps my ass that they destroy perfectly good parts and waste good metal. Saved me 70 bucks. They threw out a perfectly good brush guard too. Those things are all steel and cost like $500. Its in my garage now, lol!!!

5.02GO said:
Oh, those dynomax dont drone or have very little drone. Right mike?

Thanks mike!

I'm telling you... I spent 1 hour each way to and from college between 1998 - 2002. I drove the 93 every day at 70 to 75MPH for the majority of the trip and there was zero drone in the cockpit. I would like to mention that the 93 was stock (completely) just for clarification. You will be able to hold conversations in the car for sure. They are noticably quiter than Flow's

You ears won't be dissapointed