Alternative to crummy brake bleeder valves

taz95gt

Dec 5, 2018
Croatia
The old stock brake bleeder valves on my 95 GTs front calipers were nearly stripped from years of use and I decided to replace them with brand new speed bleeders. After installing the speed bleeders I had a slight leak on the right caliper (so small i only noticed after a week during visual inspection of something else) so i went to tighten it a tiny bit more and my socket (of proper 3/8 size just like stock) was slightly cutting into the edges, nearly rounding it off. I did not even use a lot of force, it was fairly gentle especially for the size of the steel hex.

They are steel, but feel like aluminium. Safe to say I might be able to bleed them one more time at maximum before I have to replace them again. I don't like the maintenance issue of crummy soft brake bleeders.

Does anyone know if and where I could buy a replacement out of a higher quality material or a larger hex size? I want something that's tough enough that I don't have to worry about stripping.

• Sponsors (?)

There are a couple of factors there. If you go to the parts store and ask for replacement bleeder screws, they will sell you brass Dorman brake bleeder screws for about $9/pair. The threads inside the calipers themselves might be worn out. A new pair of calipers will run you about $100. As for the fast bleeders, if you have $120 to spare, I highly recommend getting a motive products brake bleeder. It's worth all the fast bleeder screws in the world.

Kurt