Alternator low voltage

Hi I am new to the forum today. I have a 351 Windsor 1969 Mustang Convertible with dual flowmaster exhausts and headers. I have had the car for 8 years and it is a quality driver.

Problem: Battery went dead; jumped battery and car started; drove home on battery; car dead at home; took alternator out and brought to Autozone; Alternator failed their in store test. Bought rebuilt original equipment alternator and new regulator from Autozone; charged battery; Put all back together and car only puts out 12.5 volts. Needle on gauge shows no charge or discharge. Can anyone help? I connected the mail female wire connector; put on the 2 post power wire connector and put the third wire onto the alternator post with the rubber grommet. Then attached other wire to engine block. You can see pictures of alternator and wiring harness attached. Thanks

Attachments

• 2011-07-22_17-03-35_75.jpg
    2011-07-22_17-03-35_75.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 80
  • 2011-07-22_17-07-13_73.jpg
    2011-07-22_17-07-13_73.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 97
  • Sponsors (?)

Hi I am new to the forum today. I have a 351 Windsor 1969 Mustang Convertible with dual flowmaster exhausts and headers. I have had the car for 8 years and it is a quality driver.

Problem: Battery went dead; jumped battery and car started; drove home on battery; car dead at home; took alternator out and brought to Autozone; Alternator failed their in store test. Bought rebuilt original equipment alternator and new regulator from Autozone; charged battery; Put all back together and car only puts out 12.5 volts. Needle on gauge shows no charge or discharge. Can anyone help? I connected the mail female wire connector; put on the 2 post power wire connector and put the third wire onto the alternator post with the rubber grommet. Then attached other wire to engine block. You can see pictures of alternator and wiring harness attached. Thanks

Hi,
I would return to AutoZone and have them test this one. If it is OK, then check your wiring schematic to verify your connections.
Good Luck!