Alternator not charging

bruno55

Feb 24, 2008
Ok heres the deal, i just recently got my mustang it drove home fine and all but when I got home it wouldn't start back up. So looking at the stock volt meter I noticed the volts were low, I thought it was a simple fix. So I just bought a new battery, also when I checked out the alternator I noticed the plug to the voltage regulator was not plugged in so I plugged it in thinking that was the deal but nothing happened only thing that came on at that time was the "AMP" battery light with the volts still low after the battery change. I had the alternator checked out and the alternators stator was not working so I bought a new alternator, I put it back on and it started up but the volts were still low and the "AMP" battery light still lit up. The alternator connections seem okay no melting that I can tell but it looks like they might have been replaced once already though. Should I replace them again?
I thought the gauge was reading wrong so I tested the battery with a multimeter while it was on and it barely even made it to 11 volts and it drained, I checked out the fusible links as well and they seemed ok even with continuity tester which I hope I used right. I dont know whats wrong, new battery, new alternator (75 amp stock), car is completely stock even down to the stock radio and air silencer so it should charge like its supposed to. :shrug::mad:

So anybody please? Sorry so long

• Sponsors (?)

The rectifier plug was a known issue and should be replaced anytime the alt is replaced. On said plug, there are two charge wires. Check each for voltage (key off). You should see battery voltage - if you don't, there is a fusible link issue.

On the regulator, you can assume the I circuit is ok (since your battery light comes on like it should). The A terminal should show battery voltage. The S circuit floats voltage as well, and if both legs of the stator circuit are disconnected, you should find less than an ohm of resistance.

Otherwise, be sure to always have new alts bench tested before you buy them. I've had many fail a test before I even bought it.

Good luck.

On the rectifier plug you said there were two charge wires, are they the black/orange wires? I'm sure those are it but how would you go about checking for voltage?

Ok I found the problem with the fusible link 14GA. Small little blow that was almost impossible to see. Thanks for the help though.

I also figured that was the issue, hence it being the first thing I mentioned.

Glad to hear you got it figured out. :nice: