Aluminum Heads Questions For Installing-anti Seize/thread Locker/thread Sealer

BKM48198

15 Year Member
Jun 7, 2008
Ypsilanti, Michigan
I am going to be installing a set of aluminum heads and am wondering if I should use thread locker, tread sealant, or anti-seize on the bolts and studs. I assume a Thread locker on the rocker studs so they don't come loose, and a non hardening sealant on the outer head bolts that go into water passages, and anti seize on the heads under the washer so I don't mess up the aluminum.

• Sponsors (?)

That largely depends on the hardware that you are using. I had to look to see which forum I was in first. :D

If you're using OEM style hardware, I believe the book still calls for motor oil on the threads. Installation instructions for the heads may indicate different. You can download instructions from various manufacture websites. If ARP studs or bolts, you should torque them using their compound and torque values regardless of head manufacture instructions.

If you're reusing bolts then consider replacing.

use pipe dope or thread sealer on the lower bolts that go into the water jackets, and moly lube on all the top head bolts, and under the washers and bolt heads on all of them. Also if stud mount rockers, put thread sealer on the bolts or you will have oil seeping up

Reactions: 1 user
use pipe dope or thread sealer on the lower bolts that go into the water jackets, and moly lube on all the top head bolts, and under the washers and bolt heads on all of them. Also if stud mount rockers, put thread sealer on the bolts or you will have oil seeping up
I used RED Permatex on the Rocker Studs, thread tape and some RTV on the lower bolts with anti-seize on the shaft and under the washer, top bolts just got some anti-seize.

That largely depends on the hardware that you are using. I had to look to see which forum I was in first. :D

If you're using OEM style hardware, I believe the book still calls for motor oil on the threads. Installation instructions for the heads may indicate different. You can download instructions from various manufacture websites. If ARP studs or bolts, you should torque them using their compound and torque values regardless of head manufacture instructions.

If you're reusing bolts then consider replacing.
I used ARP bolts, the problem is that the head manufacturers list thread sealer and anti-seize in the list of things you might need but don't say when and where to use them. I am hoping the Red Permatex thread locker will also seal up the rocker studs, I didn't want to mix it with an RTV and not have them locked into place.

@BKM48198

The cylinder head bolts are reusable, but some new ARP bolts are a better plan. Be aware that the ARP bolts have a radiused shank under the bolt head. The ARP washers have a matching radius machined into them. Be sure that the machined radius of the washer is fitted next to the machined radius on the ARP bolt heads. Forget this little fact and you will never get the head bolts to torque down properly.

Coat the underside of all bolt heads with anti seize and the threads of the long bolts. The short bolts thread directly into the water jacket and need a different treatment. Use Teflon Pipe dope on the threads of the short head bolts. It will prevent any coolant seepage from around the threads. You can get the Teflon pipe dope from the hardware stores, Home Depot or Lowes.