An easy Dilemma boss 302 or stock block with girdle

stock block with girdle or pay 300 in shipping for 302 boss block?

• boss block

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • stock block with girdle

Votes: 6 42.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bdog9seclx

Dec 22, 2005
atl
SOhere is the deal i ordered a 331 stroker motor with all 4340 internals balanced long block with afr 185cc etc etc. all in stock block with girdle. I have in my garage a 69 boss block just sitting should i pay the 300 dollar shipping to substitute that stock block? they engine builder said it would be the same price if i sent that due to machine work etc... the short block with all forged internals is 2500 buck. so the 300 dollar shipping could save me 2500 if i split the block with too much power with my t-trim.

this is probably a good dilemma but want to hear some input. Id hate to pay 5000 for a longblock and then grenade the motor

• Sponsors (?)

Is this a serious poll? Nobody is going to answer with keep the stock block.
A girdle does nothing more than keep the parts from landing up on the street when the block splits.

A t trim needs a race block, it's more of a requirement than it is an option.

Yea so I would rather a restorer get this block for a better purpose and buy a dart or new boss 302 that would be stronger. I know the block I have is on ebay for 5k. Any idea what outlets I should go through to sell it to a much needed home? I told my engine builder to hold up on my build.

A girdle does nothing more than keep the parts from landing up on the street when the block splits.

Posted via Mobile Device

I put on a girdle cuz it added 200 hp. Just kidding.

I didn't want a lot of parts to clean up when it explodes!

I couldn't afford a fancy block...........:(

Yea so I would rather a restorer get this block for a better purpose and buy a dart or new boss 302 that would be stronger. I know the block I have is on ebay for 5k. Any idea what outlets I should go through to sell it to a much needed home? I told my engine builder to hold up on my build.
Posted via Mobile Device

I see that ebay ad, but that is an asking price, not a selling price, and at 5 grand it very well may be a pipe dream.
If you really want it to goto a good home, put it on ebay, with a $1650 reserve, so you know you will get enough to buy a new boss block, if it sells.
While i appreciate you wanting someone that needs it, to have it, i feel you may be dissappointed in what's it's actual value is.

wow

got an offer for 2300 for just the block as is. not even the rotating assembley. Might sit on it for a lil while to get the best deal I can. Some items like this are so rare they are priceless to restorers. there were only 1700 boss still in existence in the 70's

got an offer for 2300 for just the block as is. not even the rotating assembley. Might sit on it for a lil while to get the best deal I can. Some items like this are so rare they are priceless to restorers. there were only 1700 boss still in existence in the 70's

you're kidding right? 2300 bucks? I'd have that cheque cashed before the ink was even dry. :)

pro comps with 3 angle valve job and mild porting whay whats up

I was just curious on what heads someone would give away with that deal, kinda expains it.
Me personally, i'd take them to my own head guy, they aren't exactly known to be quality heads.
Or, i'd just sell them and buy a set of better heads. You're building a $5000 short block, might as well have a high end set of heads.

BTW, that boss block on ebay only went to $1200, so you made out like a bandit on the deal you got.