Annoying rear end whine, how can I fix?

Kdubslugga

Jun 7, 2003
Akron, OH
I did my own gears years ago, never a whisper out of them, I just recently swapped out the 28 spline trak loc unit for a 31 spline unit and 31 spline axles. Of course it whines now. Im sure its because i bought the gears new back when i did gears, it has worn a wear pattern in the gears and now it not in the same exact location so therefor it whines like hell now. Anyway i set the backlash within speck but it whines on decel 45+ mph... Does whine indicate to much backlash or to little??? I dont NEED to get rid of the whine completely but would def like to quite it down some. I have the next 2 days off work would like to get this done!!!!

• Sponsors (?)

Ok, I know you set backlash, but did you shim the gear to the proper depth? Too many shims and it wil wear it out and be noisy, too litte and theres too much play in axle/driveshaft. I haven't done this but I have read and heard it a million times already. The end result was that the person didn't add enough or added too many shims. Also make sure you got trak-lok fluid added as well.

I whine most times indicates too little backlash. I clunk when shifting is too much backlash. If you used the same gears the pinion depth would be the same so no problem there. It could be a carrier bearing to.

Your going to need to open it up, pull the axles and carrier out to see what's going on. If not the backlash, check the bearing cones for bluing or pitting